Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIFT CARDS ARE FOR CON-ARTISTS and SCAMMERS so BEWARE

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

For anybody out there who gives or has received Gift Cards like Mastercard or Visa for example - they are not at all safe as I have found out luckily the amount involved is "only" $25 - it could be much higher.   Anyway "they" say to treat them like money, keep them in a safe place blah blah blah all that stuff.   That's what the EXPERTS in the banking industry say but they ain't telling us the whole deal.   I don't think as it is I will ever purchase them for giftgiving again.   As I am finding out even if you had your gift cards locked in a vault in Fort Knox, Kentucky the monetary value could be stolen and you'd be none the wiser.     I was aware of the risk of losing them, etc but I had no idea that there is a large-scale and prevalent problem that disreputable people who either scan or write down a stack of card numbers can steal the funds after someone activates/purchases the cards. 

They should be warning about this.   I filed with the card company hoping to be reimbursed but so far I've just thrown more money down the rabbit hole with expenses sending them stuff.

After jumping thru all their hoops they finally sent me a later saying basically TOO BAD SO SAD you're past 120 days.  

120 DAYS PAST WHAT?   The purchase date?   The date of the first charge or last charge or what.   Because up until a little over a month ago I thought the card was laying there safe and sound till I chose to use it.    Anyway the last charge was made at the end of last September and I discovered it in December and immediately called to report it.   So I certainly wasn't 120 days past the date of the last charge and anyway I read these cards are supposed to be good for 1 or 2 years (then they can start charging monthly fees and take all your money) so WHO KNEW you were supposed to call every day to see if your money had been stolen yet?

THIS IS MASSIVE CON-ARTIST / SCAM and the card issuers don't care.   Why aren't they responsible when they approve charges being made IN PERSON (not mail order) without the actual card to scan?

I'm really ticked off about this but grateful that it didn't happen on the few occasions I've given them to someone else, that would be very sad and unfortunate.

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE A PROBLEM?   If you look online for GIFT CARD FRAUD  will see its a HUGE PROBLEM that's been going on for years and no one is doing anything about it.

BTW they have their own set of rules and laws quite apart from credit and debit cards.

Edited by JayJax, 12 January 2017 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users