Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Pair Skullcandy Hesh 2 Headphones with PC

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dwcloud

dwcloud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

I just bought a pair of Skullcandy Hesh 2 BT headphones and I've spent the last hour trying to get them to pair with my Win 7 PC to no avail.

I put the headphones into pairing mode by holding the button and then it appears in the "add a device" window on my PC and says the device has been successfully added to the computer...

hesh2_a.png

hesh2_b.png

...but then it never "pairs" - all the BT drivers are unsuccessful and I have this long list of yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. I can see the headphones in Devices & Printers, but when I click on it it says "needs troubleshooting".

hesh2_c.png

hesh2_d.png

I've tried for the last hour tp try an fix this but I haven't been able to. I have a Targus BT dongle in the PC and all my other BT devices are paired with the PC and working perfectly. I was able to pair the headphones to my Note 5 without any issues - music, videos, etc. all work great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by dwcloud, 12 January 2017 - 11:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

When I go to pair the device with the PC it does recognize the device, but then it starts trying to download drivers and these all fail. Why it has so many of them I don't know. I have removed the device quite a few times and uninstalled all the drivers that failed and rebooted, but it just does the same thing again after reboot.

I'm thinking of just taking these back. No sense spending a hundred bucks on something that's this difficult to use.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

In Device Manager right click the Bluetooth Peripheral Device and select Update Driver > Automatically Search. 

If it still fails I would return the earphones.

#4 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I did that. I also tried some advice I found on another website where they said update driver, then chose "Let me pick from a list..." and select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose Microsoft and then in the second column chose Windows Mobile Device Support. But that didn't work, either. I took the headphones back because it was too much of a hassle trying to get them to work, but it would be nice to find out what was going on with those BT drivers in case I run into this problem again.

Edited by dwcloud, 14 January 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Maybe there was an issue of Bluetooth versions used in the headphones and dongle but Bluetooth is supposed to be backward compatible except if the device uses BT LE which is the Low Energy standard then the dongle requires it have this standard also.

#6 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

I have a Targus bluetooth dongle in the PC. I spent a little extra to get a good one, because the last one I had was garbage. I do not know what version this is, since there's no info on the dongle. I'm assuming that those cans were probably duds, but I'll know for sure when I get another pair and try this again.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Is this your model number for the Targus BT dongle?

http://www.targus.com/us/usb-bluetooth-adapter

At the bottom of the page are drivers for Windows 7.

#8 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the link. There is a model number on the dongle, just never saw it before. I had to get out the magnifying glass just to see it, lol. It is the same one you linked to (ACB10US1)  :)

I'm wondering is this the dongle here in Device Manager?

btdongle.jpg

Edited by dwcloud, 14 January 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#9 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

I tried updating the driver using the downloaded file, but it said "validation failed" when trying to update.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

That would be the device. You can right click the device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. The first line has the Hardware and Vendor ID. Copy and post it. 

Use the Vendor ID in the search box to determine what the vendor is. Then do another search for the device. From that it may be possible to find an alternative driver.

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/

The validation failed may be because the driver is not signed or the file itself is corrupted but I am not sure. You may want to contact Targus. They have live chat.

#11 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

This is the ID on the first line: USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8&REV_0112

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

I didn't pay enough attention to your image showing the BCM20702 chipset. I will see if I can find an alternate driver. As of right now the only drivers I see are from OEM's like HP and Lenovo. You may want to contact Targus.

Edit: Go here and download the BCM20702 driver. It is in a cab format from Microsoft. Extract the file to your desktop using Winrar or 7zip. On the device with the yellow exclamation mark select update driver. Point it to the inf file in the unzipped folder. I am not sure this would work as the BCM20705 chipset is already detected in Device Manager but it's worth a try. Create a restore point before attempting to update the driver.

I looked at the inf file with notepad and your dongle is there.

%BRCM20702.DeviceDesc%=RAMUSB21E8,          USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8                           ; 20702A1 dongles

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 January 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#13 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

They are closed on the weekend. I'll call them Monday. I have no idea what to do on that page you linked to with the IDs.

Edited by dwcloud, 14 January 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Don't worry about that page. See my edited post. I did find a Microsoft driver. You can try it but create a restore point first or wait till monday.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 January 2017 - 12:22 PM.

#15 dwcloud

dwcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

Funny thing is every other BT device I have has worked fine with this dongle (Note 5, BT ear buds, etc.). The only issue I ever had was with the other BT dongle I had (sometimes my Logitech K810 keyboard would cut out and I'd have to reconnect it). I've never had any issues with the Targus. I think the problem was solely with the headphones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users