Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 Pro Setup: Anything I should know before I leap??

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

I'm about to unbox my old man's new Thinkpad that should already have Windows 10 Pro installed. Is there anything we should know before he gets started? I use W10 at work, but IT handles all the firewall etc aspects of it, and I just realized that I haven't thought about Windows computer setup in a while. Is it going to be packed with bloatware? He's itching to install all his school stuff tonight and we haven't read up on this at all!

Opinions on things I should or shouldn't be installing? Initial tweaks or updates that we might need? Updates or settings I should avoid/uncheck?

Thanks for any help!

Suddenly I'm very nervous!!

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2017 - 06:47 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

If by "bloatware" you mean the apps that automatically install, then yes, it has all sorts of crap on it, namely Candy Crush.

It does not, by default, come with bloatware similar to the software they put on off-the-shelf PC's, like Lenovos.

Major issues that people usually complain about is the constant update nagging. You can disable it in the Group Policy editor, provided your edition is Pro or greater. However, that means you must ensure updates are installed yourself. Other major issues include bugginess, crashes, and performance loss versus Windows 7.

It's fine for general use, but if you do something specific with your Windows, like games, 3D modeling/animation, CAD/CAM, work type stuff...then I would recommend 7, for now. Otherwise, 10 is fine.

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Well, dang! We've got W 10 Pro. :bubbles:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi:

Yes, you should take the available updates.

Even if your computer shipped from the factory with AU (v1607), it will still need updates.

(Let us know if you need help checking your Win10 version or see here.)

These are important for stability, performance and security (including for embedded browser plug-ins, such as Adobe Flash Player).

They are not delivered as 10, 15 or 20 individual patches any longer.

They come as "Rollups" every month, as part of the "Windows as a Service" model.

In Pro and higher, you *can* temporarily defer major UPGRADES to the OS (via GP edit or reg edit), but it's not a good idea to disable Windows Updates entirely.

I do not particularly like the degraded end user control over Windows Updates, but they have moved to the same model even for 7/8.1.  So, there's not much we can do about it.

The major decisions on a new Win10 computer:

• Local account vs. MS account (or both) -- see here
  • Cortana enabled or disabled -- see here
  • Edge for default browsing or not
  • Windows store or not (you need a MS account for these)
  • Other Win10 default apps vs. your own preferred desktop apps for everything from browsers to email clients to photo editing, etc.
  • Whether to live with the native Win10 Start Menu, File Explorer and Search, or whether to install Classic Shell and other 3rd-party apps to make it look/feel more like Win7
    • If you kill most/all of the live tiles in the Start Menu and correctly set your default  programs, the Win10 Start Menu is not all that awful
  • Whether to use the native Win10 Firewall and Windows Defender, or to switch to 3rd-party security applications

There are many helpful tutorials available here and at other fora.

Just take it slow and make notes of your changes as you go.

Do not change too many things at one time.

And make frequent system images to a USB external HDD, so that you can go back, if needed.

I researched Win10 for almost a year before taking the plunge on a new OEM Windows 10 system.  I was glad I waited and took the time.   But I still had many questions about it, once I got it in my hands.

Despite claims to the contrary -- mostly from folks who are still running XP and older versions of Windows -- using it is not nearly as terrible as one might think. 

I have enjoyed robust performance from it, along with MS Office 2016 and updated versions of my favorite productivity applications.

There will be further refinements and improvements, including to the privacy features. 

I hope this helps,

MM

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

MoxieMomma, thank you!! This is exactly what I need!

Right now I'm going through the 'Customized Settings' part and it asks:

"Let apps use your advertising ID for experiences across apps. On or Off?"

I'm assuming "app" is the new Windows "program" or are they referring to third-party apps? What are "experiences"? You know, as defined by microsoft, not generally! :lmao:

I'm guessing I should say no for and that I can change this later?

Speccy

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

THIS will be of interest

(Windows 10 privacy changes announced)

Edited by Condobloke, 12 January 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hi, @Ubiq:

You are most welcome.  I'm glad I could help a bit.

Re: privacy, there are new enhancements coming:

Our continuing commitment to your privacy with Windows 10

I would be careful about some of the 3rd-party offerings out there designed to appease the tinfoil hat crowd.

There have been many reports at Win10 support communities about those applications creating major performance/stability problems and leading to seriously broken Win10 installations.

I do not publicly post my SSN online, but I also refuse to invest heavily in Reynolds Wrap. :)

I try not to waste what's left of my limited lifespan being mired in "Windows 10 is spyware" discussions.

(You can read plenty about that here in this forum and all over the internet.)

Cheers,

MM

(I do not wish to detract from the many fine tutorials here at bleeping.  But, if I may say so, the folks at tenforums.com do a great job, too.)

#8 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

Well.

The screen went blank during set up and Lenovo said I can't fix it. I have to get a new one shipped. :(

We hadn't even gotten to the part where he had to decide on a user account vs Microsoft. More time to read up I guess.

Speccy

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

With all the natural negativity surrounding 10, I have to say this: They finally fixed the Start Menu. It's the most customizable menu so far without the use of third party programs. They make some mistakes here and there with it, but overall it is the best incarnation in my opinion.

#10 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Before boxing up our dead laptop and sending it back, I was admiring the keyboard since I'm thinking of buying one for myself and the thing awoke immediately into someone's desktop. I shut it down and then restarted it to see what would happen. I was guessing that they had somehow sent me someone else's t560 that had been sent in for a sudden death problem, because we hadn't even created a user account yet, so how could it load a desktop??

At restart it very quickly(ssd!) booted that desktop again, after displaying my Toshiba laptop's password in a huge font on the screen for about 10 seconds. :scratchhead:

And no, there is no way we had set up any user account info on the damaged t560 yet.

I can only assume this happened because of the OneDrive icon that appeared in my old Toshiba's system tray a couple of weeks ago. I guess Win10 is trying to be helpful and load my administrator account on what it sees as my new laptop? It must have gotten my email from the Lenovo purchase??? it's very strange though, because I don't have my password set to automatically enter on this Toshiba, so why would it auto-enter on the new device and display it on screen in letters large enough to be read across the room? Seems awkward to me, but what do I know?

Anyway, I don't want to send this back to Lenovo with my personal info on it, even though I'm sure they have an efficient process for wiping hard drives. What should I do? I don't even know how to change the master password on my Toshiba which is running Win 7. I have work and school 7 days a damn week and I don't have time to read up on this. Do I need to remove the OneDrive from my Toshiba?

I feel sick about this because it seems like my password is just out on the internet, up for grabs by any device with my email somewhere on it's hard drive. That could be a lot of devices!

I'm also really scared to try to change the password on my Toshiba because if that process messes up and locks me out, it will be a personal disaster for me due to school and work stuff that is on the win7 side of my hard drive. I have a back up mirror or whatever, but I've never had to rely on that while other people were depending on me to have immediate access to my work.

Should I just box this t560 up and try to forget about the OneDrive stuff?

Edited by Ubiq, 15 January 2017 - 01:15 PM.

Speccy

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Welcome to windows 10. privacy?....what privacy !

That is just a perfect example why I now run Linux.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#12 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

Welcome to windows 10. privacy?....what privacy !

That is just a perfect example why I now run Linux.

Ha ha, yes! I love linux too!! I plan to devote this Toshiba to linux only once i have a new computer for myself. That way I have my work/school device and my personal device. But anyway...

The problem for me is that I'm interested in computers, but not very good at them. It takes me a looong time to educate myself on changes, new operating systems, etc. such that I can confidently use them without ending up with a plastic brick. I can't afford any plastic bricks.

And right now i just don't have time to read up on Win 10. It's not like I haven't tried, but all I can find are attacks, complaints, and defences of it. That's all interesting and informative it's own way, but seriously unhelpful to me right now.

I can't find any simple explanations of how I should handle this current issue. Not even on Microsoft's site. I understand their need to explain that Win10 is easy and...bye. But I need to get my info off this t560.

What do I do right now about my Win 7 admin account apparently being loaded onto a new computer with my password being auto-entered? I have to send that laptop back under Lenovo's DOA policy. My friend, who works in Lenovo services, says they will fix it and resell it. i want my personal info off that device before it goes to Lenovo. How do I do that?

Speccy

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

I wonder is this happening via your Microsoft account ?.....try signing out of the account.

#14 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

I wonder is this happening via your Microsoft account ?.....try signing out of the account.

Okay, I just closed OneDrive from my Toshiba and then cut on the t560 and it loaded a desktop instantly. It threw up my password on the screen again, but not my user name. Did it get those two mixed up??

I don't understand the MS account thing, but it seems to have converted my Win7 account to this global OneDrive account? Is that what's happening? I don't get how it's happening when I haven't entered my password into the t560? Because I have to sign in to load Win7 on my Toshiba. Sigh. :(

Speccy

#15 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

Should I post a new topic in a different forum for this issue?

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users