Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling windows on HP elitebook (F11 key does nothing)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

I just bought a used HP Elitebook 2760p, but it came with the wrong language installed. As it's windows 7 pro I can't easily change without reinstalling, so I want to reset it. Every information I could find online says press F11 when booting, but I've tried over and over and nothing happens! The Esc button works to get me to the boot menu but there is no restore option in here that I can see. This notebook doesn't have any cd drives, and it is sold with windows 7 pro included (key on the back) so I am assuming it has a built in restore partition, although I don't know how to find out for certain.

Does anyone have any idea how I can reinstall windows in my own language?

Or another method to completely change the language of windows without reinstalling?

Edited by noz03, 12 January 2017 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

You would need to install a language pack and it would depend on if your language was available. What language do you need, English?

Open Disk Management and look for a Recovery Partition of about 12GB. If it's not there then F11 will not work.

If the key is legible on the COA sticker download Windows 7 PRO using this tool. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive. 

Burn the iso to disk on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to use phone activation if using the key on the COA sticker.

I would recommend an additional backup with Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Double click the exe file in an admin account or Right click and select Run as Administrator. Click on the Backup Activation button. It will backup your key and activation files to a subfolder of the unzipped folder and the button will change to Activation Restore. Copy the desktop folder to a USB key. Is the key found by Advanced Token Manager different than what is on the COA sticker?

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Yes you are right there is no large partition. Only a 1gb partition (not hidden) that holds HP files, about 500mb worth. And another small 400mb hidden partition.

I tried downloading using this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 but for some reason my key doesn't work... Doesn't say it is wrong, just says they had a problem with my request... Although I know it is a legit key, I also had to use it when I first received the laptop.

Is the tool on majorgeek definitely a safe tool to use? I don't want to install an illegal or cracked OS, am a bit paranoid about this. Also I am worried some of the functions of the laptop might not be supported. For example this laptop has a wacom touch screen, finger print reader and so on that are not so standard on every computer. Will these things work fine if I download a new windows?

In regards to trying to change the language without reinstalling, I read that there is a software called vistalizator that can change the language pack, although I am unsure how safe it is or how completely it changes the language. I tried to use it but it comes up with an error about reinstalling update KB3060716 with a link to download it from microsoft. I downloaded that but that wont work either, just gets stuck "searching for updates on this computer". It is starting to feel like nothing works the way it is supposed to :(

Edited by noz03, 12 January 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Your key probably failed because it's an OEM version. Right click Computer > Properties. Look at the PID number. If you see an OEM in the number you cannot use it to download from the link you posted. You will need the download tool from MajorGeeks. 

It not an illegal or cracked version of Windows 7. The tool will provide a direct link from Microsoft. If Microsoft was worried about it they would have issued a takedown notice. 

I would advise you download the iso. Burn it to a DVD then do a complete reinstall to a clean drive following this guide especially because the computer is used.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

The other option would be to install a linux distro like Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu and avoid the Windows 7 update headaches on clean installs.

I am not familiar with the software vistualizator so I cannot help with that.

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

Oh ok, yes it is an OEM :( Yeah I am thinking to do as you say, but will everything still work if I reinstall from a new windows 7? Like the wacom pen, special HP buttons and other things that are only on HP elitebooks? Especially as I don't have a way to reinstall won't be able to reset these things again.

Edit: also if I download from the tool I should choose the COEM version not the regular right? On my win 7 sticker it says windows 7 pro OA.

Edited by noz03, 13 January 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

I don't believe the tool offers an OEM version but your key on the COA sticler will work if you select Windows 7 Pro. 

The iso you download is not OEM specific so yo will need to download any drivers on the HP website for your model. There should be drivers for your HP keys but I would check to make sure. As far as the wacom pen I am not sure if Windows 7 has native drivers for it. All your drivers are here. I will not sugar coat it. After installing Windows 7 clean you will have a big job reinstalling all your necessary drivers and HP specific software. It will not be an easy job as HP has multiple drivers per category and you will need to determine which driver you need by looking through the Hardware and Vendor IDs in Device Manager. I did see drivers for your wacom digitizer and HP keys.

OA stands for OEM activation. I would create a backup of your Activation Files using Advanced Token Manager and use the key it found to install Windows 7. After install copy the folder back to the desktop and click on the Activation Restore Button.

If you plan on doing this I highly recommend you first create a complete disk image of your hard drive to a USB external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. If things go wrong you can use the bootable media the program creates to boot and restore the disk image of Windows 7. Make sure you create the bootable restore media. In Macrium it's listed under Other Tasks. After you create the CD or USB flash drive boot it and make sure it detects all your drives including your USB external drive.

Edit:

In regards to trying to change the language without reinstalling, I read that there is a software called vistalizator that can change the language pack, although I am unsure how safe it is or how completely it changes the language. I tried to use it but it comes up with an error about reinstalling update KB3060716 with a link to download it from microsoft. I downloaded that but that wont work either, just gets stuck "searching for updates on this computer". It is starting to feel like nothing works the way it is supposed to

This problem occurs because the Windows Update Service is still running. Right Click Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services. Scroll down the list until you get to Windows Update. Double click and press the stop button. You can also reboot and immediately install KB3060716.  

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 January 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#7 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yeah that is what I was worried about so I decided it would be better to keep trying to change the language without reinstalling.... However things have gone from bad to worse.

You advice worked and the vistalizator software started to work, however after restarting the laptop (supposedly in its new language) windows now won't load at all :( It is days like this that "bleeping" is not a strong enough word for this damn computer haha....

Now every time I turn it on, it says windows loading, then the next screen is a black screen with only mouse. No keys including ctrl+alt+del seem to do anything. Do you or anyone else reading this have any idea what I can try to fix this?

Safemode also doesn't work (same problem). Am considering to try last known configuration but worried that some files might not match up with each other as I tried to manually change the language files with vistalizator.

Edited by noz03, 13 January 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Can you do a System Restore? Tap F8 at boot and do a System Restore to a date before the install of your vistalizator.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Contacting manufacturer re possibility of recovery disks is what I would try.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Luis's suggestion would is the best solution.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

#11 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Well as I understand they charge 50 euros to ship out a restore disk which is a lot for a 170 euro laptop. I contacted the seller though to see if he can help, otherwise I guess I will be in for a very hard job installing all the HP drivers :(

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

If you decide to go the clean route it may be best to get your device and vendor IDs before hand then download the corresponding drivers at the HP support site.

#13 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

If you decide to go the clean route it may be best to get your device and vendor IDs before hand then download the corresponding drivers at the HP support site.

How do I do that?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Download minitoolbox. Check List Device and click the All button. Copy the text file. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/

#15 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hey again, sorry for the late reply... Work was a bit crazy and knew this would cause me stress I wouldn't have time to deal with :/

I finally reinstalled it yesterday, but not just the touch screen is not working... almost nothing seems to work! The wifi doesn't work, the screen resolution is messed up... I guess windows didn't have any drivers for this laptop at all??

Before reinstalling I did as you said and copied the list of devices, although it is a huge list which means almost nothing to me :( I found a page which has the drivers for my model (http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5071192&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059), but again... the list is huge and I have no idea which I need.

I actually installed the new windows over the old one so it still exists as windows.old. Not sure if that helps, or maybe causing more problems but thought it would be safer to keep it for now.

Any suggestions what I can do from here?

Sorry for being such a newbie, I honestly wish I'd never bought this computer in the first place... So much trouble just because the guy didn't include the proper restore disks... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users