Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP blacklisting being used as form of censorship?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

I attempted to register for several accounts but a message came on saying my server was blocked due to spamming.

My IP number serves many people because it is in a tourist hotel from which many people come and go constantly

In other cases websites I have been able to reach before are showing 404 Gateway blocks.

I think this may be a new form of censorship in which the IP is put on a blacklist preventing communication by internet users in that location

Such a blacklist would have be triggered either

1. from pressure on the blacklisting company from an external party to get a false listing,

2. or someone would have to have entered the building and used the internet connection for spamming to get the IP put on the blacklist.

Can any suggest a way such blacklisting can be lifted?  Can the IP number be changed?

Does the DNS number have anything to do with it?

I am not the manager of the building and have no control over the wifi router or the server.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

"...I am not the manager of the building and have no control over the wifi router or the server..."

Are you a customer or an employee of that hotel?  Maybe it's time to approach the manager or hotel IT person about this problem?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

I'm no expert, but I know that some sites do in fact block IP ranges outside the residential ones. It's also possible that some kind of abuse has occurred that led to the blacklisting. The hotel can ask for a new IP address from their provider.

If you wish to bypass these blocks as a customer, a VPN would be a good solution.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Open proxy's from the deepweb works too though they get banned fast and you have to know were to look for em, unless you want to be evil and make/farm your own.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Others have already given you a range of good options to exercise.

My sole comment is going to be on your contention that this is censorship.  It isn't.  The blocking of specific IPs known to be problematic for any number of reasons, particularly spamming or hacking, has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of expression but definitely has to do with keeping it such that those who wish to continue using their rights to that expression to do so.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating here:

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.
Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.
Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

What you describe as occurring is a form of editorial oversight.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

Is it possible people in the hotel are actually spamming? When I helped support the hotels in Las Vegas during CES, it turned out being a bigger problem then most would suspect. Even if it's just someone coming into the hotel and using the public wifi for "bad stuff" not only might it explain the problem, but it should alarm your sense of security.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

That public internet for you, grate place for hackers and anyone that just wants to drop a bomb on the net then become a ghost, not surprised a lot of places ban ips like that.

#8 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Open proxy's from the deepweb works too though they get banned fast and you have to know were to look for em, unless you want to be evil and make/farm your own.

Thanks for this comment.

Can you point me in the direction of learning more about these, please?

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

I could and they have their uses but like i said they end up on peoples ban lists fast or the ips change and or drop or they lag like mad.

As well you don't know who your passing your ip threw when using em so keep that in mind and last but not lest iv read that open proxy's are sometimes farmed evil stile.

My self i use open proxy's often if and when needed but the good ones / pro lists are hard to find so im not shearing or posting about were i get my proxy's from.

But to help you get started on the topic here are some.

https://www.xroxy.com/proxylist.htm

Do you know how to use proxy's ?

And if not what browser you using or is the proxy for more then just surfing the net, safer way if all you want to do is surf the net might be to use TOR

https://www.torproject.org/

https://geti2p.net/en/

Edited by shadow_647, 14 January 2017 - 11:42 PM.

#10 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

People do use public networks for spamming. That has become a way of promoting stuff. And yes you can change your IP, incase if any of the above commenst haven't helped already here's another article you can try;
https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-hide-your-ip/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users