Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover corrupted pics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cwilsn

cwilsn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

My daughter's Windows 10 laptop had some serious malware/viruses and after removing it a lot of her pics and files got corrupted. I've tried running several windows tools with no luck as well.

I've tested quite a few third party software claiming to restore/recover corrupted pics but none have worked so far.

Any ideas on a legit software/tool that will restore corrupted pics/files?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Yes, TestDisk, more specifically its PhotoRec component.

What it can recover will depend on what, exactly, the malware did as far as the disc drive.  If it actually erased, as in cleared data blocks, as opposed to deleted (marking data blocks as unused and ready for reuse) it completely changes whether there's something to reconstruct files from or not.

If you use PhotoRec be aware that by default it will try to recover a lot more than photos.  Take a look at his "how to use" page and be certain to unselect any of the file types you have no interest in getting back as part of the recovery.  Also know that you may get multiple copies of the same photos if they've been copied to different folders over time and deleted from their original locations.  Photorec will reconstruct any file it can find sufficient information to reconstruct, including deleted files, as it is a disaster recovery program.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 cwilsn

cwilsn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Brian thanks for the input. I haven't ran across this tool in my research of recovery tools to this point. I'll definitely give a shot this weekend and let you know my findings.

Thanks again!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Just know that time really is of the essence if the machine is running and you're "doing stuff" that involves writing things to disk.

If the corruption was introduced by "falsely freeing" data blocks used to hold these photos the operating system's file management doesn't know that those free markers shouldn't really be free markers, it will assume a legitimate file delete, and it may allocate those blocks again for something else.

If you don't have time to get right on this I'd suggest turning the machine off until you do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 cwilsn

cwilsn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

I got it. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic