Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrNola

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525, and  running Window's Vista SP2 with a 32 bit OS. I'm steadily trying to do updates for my laptop, but the updates get stuck searching. I can't understand why  I can't get updates. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS BLEEPING COMPUTER!!!! :(Attached File  Windows updating.png   91.57KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hi MrNola:

Several Vista SP2 users are currently discussing the same problem in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates".

Most users find that the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours will get Windows Update working again. There are six Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed in STEP # 2 of those instructions that must be manually installed on your computer to speed up Windows Update if any of those updates are currently missing.

And "speed up" is a very relative term.  This workaround can reduce the "Checking for updates..." hang from days down to hours, but Note 6 of those instructions warns users to be prepared to let Windows Update run several hours after the Win32K.sys speed up patches are installed.

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#3 cafejose

• Members
  • 922 posts
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

I have been keeping Check for Updates turned OFF.  Mine neither has been finding any updates even when I click the WU button for Check for Updates, even if I have the "kernel mode drivers" update installed.

For current month, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/mt745134.aspx

and check for the update items I believe I need.

Install each, one at a time with computer ReStarts in between.

This month only seems to be one update item for Windows Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users