Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Merge a Large Doc inserting Merge fields of several pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WordRocket

WordRocket

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm Using MS Word 2013 (as part of Office 365).

I want to take a large Lease form and be able to  Merge into it, specifics from different Tenant locations.  I'll be producing only 1 merged file at a time.

So I have a main Lease Body, I want to insert a formatted Header Page for the subject Property; a formatted Signature page; Insert Landlord Name in various places  and a several sentence description, then I will need to  insert a mutli Page Property specific Rider to the end.

How do I set up Merge Fields in the Main Lease that will pull from a different files which I would modify for each subject property. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hi:

Disclaimer: I am on Office 2016 (Win10) and Office 2010 (Win7), but that probably doesn't matter.  And I do not use Mail Merge often.

But, from what you describe, we are missing critical information in order to better assist you: what is the data source????

This tutorial explains clearly how to perform Mail Merge:

Mail merge using an Excel Spreadsheet

That is probably the most reliable way to do it.

Please report back, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#3 WordRocket

WordRocket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hey MM,

Thx for replying.  So, what my data source would be is  another  MS Word .doc file.  I have a Location specific Word file for each property.  When I need to generate a Lease, I would like to be able to take the Lease body, and merge into it the Landlord Name, the Property address, the Property commercial name and then.... what is probably the fly in the ointment, is that I would like to add a pre formated (2 page) Economics Section.   I also need to add a 6 page Rider at the end.  Right Now, each property has a property specific file with all the above info in it.  We manually cut and paste from the Prop Specific File into the Main Lease body.  It seems there should be a way to mail merge it.... however, large blocks of formatted text will not fit into an Excel cell.  Is there a way to mark a section of formatted text to be inserted into the different portions of the main lease body?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

In my experience, Mail merge is aimed more at merging in short bits of text, not large formatted sections of text.  The formatting for those small bits of text are then part of the main document and the data to be merged in are in a structured (i.e. comma separated or tab separated, etc), "list" document.  It is typically used more for things like filling in address blocks of form letters, creating mail labels, etc.

So, you can likely do most of what you want, but as you said, the "fly in ointment" is likely the rider that you want to do.  It also depends on what you want to do for the "Economics Section".  If you want to have it be an entire section, then I am not sure how to get that done.  OTOH, if you just want to fill in things like monthly rent/lease payment and other little pieces of a reformatted section, then that can be done.

What I would probably suggest is that you create different main documents and associated data files for each overall lease agreement (i.e. at a minimum a standard lease and then one with the rider...and others if you have different riders).  So that would be one main lease document with an associated data file with all the entries that would use that lease document (i.e. a spreadsheet along the line in the previous post that would columns for property name, property street address, property city, property state, property zip, tenant name, rent/lease amount, etc...i.e. each data item gets its own column and then the rows are the individual lease entries for each lease you want to create/print) and then do the same for each variation on the lease document (i.e. different riders or if you have different sections, etc).

If that does not work, then I don't know of a better way to do it with Mail Merge.

So, beyond that, you might need to look at something like a custom database that either you create or have someone create for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users