Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems, Need assistance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636087/where-and-what-comp-4-my-grandmother-200-300 - Hamluis.

Thank you for all replies. My grandma bought a new computer from walmart so she is set up. I was trying to get her to buy refurbished but they would never call us back or answer.

Now its my computer lol. A number of issues that guys I have no idea what to do or what first. I am just like my grandmother a casual internet user and like to watch videos through HDMI on my TV. I need to get this computer working good and I believe that is very possible. Buying a brand new computer isn't really an option and I have a feeling the fixes may be rather simple but I don't know what i'm doing. I believe like the guy above said, the CPU is good enough. Please if you can tell me what to do and I think I can do it. I'm confused on what to prioritize trying to figure out etc.

Problems in order of when they started happening:

1. At Startup it says: NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE Press Enter Key To Retry

SATA-0: NONE

SATA-1: NONE

SATA-4: INSTALLED

SATA-5: NONE

2. Windows Updates(OS is Vista): A month or so ago I tried to download the 20 or so needed updates it said were available and it would sit there forever "downloading" but never download any. I noticed when I would shut down. The next day at bottom left corner it would show the red power button logo saying shut down/install updates. I would do that but it would only install one update instead of all of them. And it kept letting me do that one at a time after trying to regular install while on computer, then shutting down, restarting next day, and after that session power logo shutdown/install would appear and would let me install just one update. A number of bigger issues happened so I stopped messing around with that and it's still an issue. Also, I had to go to a restore point after it downloaded a update for internet explorer which I could not get on internet at all afterwards. So things with the updates I dunno where its at right now as i've just been trying to go back to old restore points just to get on internet at all.

3. Attention Unsupported Video Configuration: So now on startup I don't see the no boot device but this instead and i'm guessing because when plugged into my add-in video card nothing shows up on the screen at all. It used to randomly happen where I would boot my computer and nothing ever show up on screen and i would restart and it would work. But now it never does and I had to plug my monitor into IVC(?)(integrated video connector) just to see on my monitor. But I cant watch videos from my tv now.

My friend who is an IT guy was over here and said the problem with that could be the two I think memory sticks(RAM?) that he sold me years ago. I had upgraded from 32bit to 64 bit and if i remember right that allowed two more GB RAM and we added those steel sticks I guess u could call them.

4: ? - If I choose a restore point and it is successful, will it stay at that place everytime from now on when I shut down and reboot? I got mixed up cause sometimes one restore point would let me get on internet and another wouldn't and so i'm mixed up with them.

It would really mean a lot to get this computer good again. I wish I could like refurbish it perse to where it's like a clean new computer. Even with vista I don't care, if I could restore back to default would be great. Right now the computer is just fragile and I have to do restore point to sometimes be able to get on internet. Theres been problems with being able to "identify network" for internet and a month or so ago when they reset the wireless modem from the ISP it connected immediately everytime. Now it's off an on again and I think that maybe the generic wireless modem from ISP just isn't very good. After that Internet Explorer update it did from Windows UPdates tho it wouldn't let me get on at all. And so again i've been doing restore point to be able to sometimes get on internet.

Please tell me what I should do and how I can give you the info needed to know whats going on like if i'm out of memory etc and I will post it.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2017 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

I split your issues from your topic in Buying New Computer :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users