Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Real-Time Scanning won't stay on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tapir

Tapir

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi

My PC has been running a bit slow generally but yesterday McAfee reported problems with real-time scanning. Now when I turn real-time scanning back on, it flicks back to being off and won't stay on. I also cannot run a scan. The firewall has tried to switch off too but when I turn that on again, it seems to stay on (or at least it is at the moment). Could this be a virus? I'm worried because I was the victim of credit card fraud just before Christmas and wondered if that too was linked to my pc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited to add: Just noticed a new weird thing... when I try to click the 'turn on' button, it flashes up a message asking if I'm sure I want to turn off real-time scanning even thought the button I press is to turn it on!

Edited by Tapir, 12 January 2017 - 08:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

You can always get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.....ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

BTW...very few of our members use McAfee. If no one replies with suggestions in regards to it's real-time scannin, you may want to contact and ask McAfee Support...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

Ok, thanks. Is McAfee not well used because it's not considered very good? 

I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it yesterday and real-time scanning stayed on for the rest of the day. On booting up the computer today, it wanted to run a CHKDSK scan. It kept getting stuck at 43% so I lost patience and skipped the disk checking the next time I switched it on. Now I find real-time scanning is off again and won't stay on. Also got the following message come up which means nothing to me...

Activation exe. Unable to load Jit Compiler (mscorgit.dll): file may be missing or corrupt, Please check or rerun set up. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Although McAfee (now owned by Intel Security is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core install kernel mode drivers and resource heavy processes that load at boot-up. Installation also results in the creation of numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using this anti-virus solution (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with and do not mind paying for.

What is mscorjit.dll?

How to Scan for (and Fix) Corrupt System Files in Windows with System File Checker (SFC) in Windows 10/8/7
How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker

#5 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks. I managed to stay patient and run the full disk check. It seemed like there were a lot of errors and recovery of orphaned files(?). I'm not very computer savvy so not sure what it was doing or not doing... Afterwards, there was no improvement in the McAfee problem and both scanning and firewall were switched off and still would not stay turned on. I have uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled from my provider (I get it free with broadband) and both firewall and scanning are currently showing as on but I expect that to change as it did before! 

Only other issue I've encountered is that I can't seem to change proxy settings. When I click on the button, no window opens. If I go to 'internet options' under control panel, I can't click on that either... 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

You should check with your ISP. When using fre software provided by an ISP, it can be responsible for making changes to proxy settings and keeping you from accessing/changing them.

Some security software can do that too but since I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of McAfee, I don't know if it is one that does the same.

#7 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

So... I'm now in quite a predicament... Having to contact the forum using my phone as the laptop refuses to connect to the internet. McAfee shows scanning and firewall are on but I now have proxy issues. I managed to run another CHKDSK scan and McAfee scan, the plan being to then scan using the programs you kindly directed me to. Unfortunately, when I boot up the laptop and click on anything, I now get the whirling circle of doom and can't do anything. So... I rebooted in Safe Mode with networking and the proxy won't let me connect to any websites. I can't change the proxy settings and can't see that 'internet options' even exists under the control panel in safe mode.

I got the following error code 0 x 8007000E when I tried to run windows troubleshooting. I also got a RunDLL message saying c:\windows\system32\inetc.cpl is not a valid Win32 application. No idea what that refers to.

On top of this, my battery is on it's last legs so I've had delays even getting to this point because it needs to be plugged in to even boot up. I'm not sure what I can do now :(

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Have you tried using System Restore to return to a previous state before the problems began?

#9 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

Managed to set up system restore in Safe Mode to a date before the problems began. When rebooted in normal mode I got a message saying that it hadn't managed to fully restore. However, I was able to click on things and get on the internet for the first time in quite a while, albeit slowly. I decided to try doing a scan with Malwarebytes and left it on overnight as it got stuck partway through. By this morning it was still stuck and I couldn't even pause it. It just froze in scanning mode. When I rebooted, Windows took a long time doing some updates. Interestingly Malwarebytes also shows real-time scanning as being off when I load up the pc, even though I keep turning it on. I'm now going to uninstall Malwarebytes (keeping Mcafee on) and try the Eset scan that you recommended. Wish me luck! 

PS: Computer is painfully slow on start up and takes a while to get on internet but at least there's some functionality back! I'm not holding out too much hope that it stays this way but while I have internet connection to download things, I'm going to get some scanning done...

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

I am going away for a few days and will not be available.

If you want a more comprehensive look at your system for possible malware by experts, there are advanced tools which can be used to investigate but they are not permitted in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide. When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

If you choose to post a log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.

#11 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your help.

Here's my new post: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638116/real-time-scanning-problem-possible-malware/

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Now that your new topic is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your system is clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers but your topic will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

I advise checking your new topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.
The BC Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users