Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable Wifi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mibec

mibec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hi,

I know that the subject of Windows 10 and wifi has been mentioned many times here and on all other tech-forums. But after reading several of these post and trying the solutions, my problem still remains unsolved.

As opposed to many of the threads I have read, my computer can connect to the internet and also does so automatically (when near a saved connection).

My problem is that the computer disconnects very frequently (sometimes every 5 minutes or less). It reconnects fairly quickly, but I still cannot access websites until I manually disconnect and reconnect. When my computer disconnects, all networks, but my own, disappears from the list of available networks (which I find somewhat strange; attached picture). Also, the problem rarely occurs when I connect to a network that is not my home-network.

I have considered that it could be my router, but connecting to the router with a cable eliminates the problem (but I don't see the point in having a laptop, if I'm forced to stay with a metre or two of the router :P ), and my girlfriend's Macintosh has no problems at all with the wifi (not that that necessarily means I shouldn't).

Playing online games or using other services that require a little more of my wifi-connection seems to worsen the problem further.

I don't know what more to tell you. Ask anything you need to know.

Computer: ASUS X550JX

Network card and drivers are from Realtek.

Processor: Intel Core i7.

Attached Files

Edited by mibec, 12 January 2017 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

If you are not having any problems with a Ethernet connection the router probably isn't the culprit here.  The first thing I would do is look in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons seen or even the possibility of a red error icon.  If either of these is seen uninstall the driver and restart the computer.  When the computer is restarted a new driver will be installed.  If this doesn't resolve the problem I would suggest spending $10 - $15 on a USB wifi adapter to see if the problem is with the ASUS adapter.

The next time the wifi drops please do the following.

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

FSS1_zpsed396cd9.png

Please place a check in the Internet Services box only.

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

FSS2_zps8ffbee2d.png

Edited by dc3, 12 January 2017 - 10:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users