Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing from Norton security suite to Eset

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Currently I am using Norton Constant Guard provided to me with my comcast account. I will be leaving comcast and need to install new AV software, I have chosen Eset  for my new AV.   The two questions I have are these. I will need to do this on 4 PC's. each running a different OS. XP, Win7sp2, Win 8.1 and Win10

1) Can I retain the backup sets created by norton to use with Eset NOD32 or will I need to create a new backup with Eset? Do the Norton backup's use a unique file extention?

2) This question relates to the sequence of events to change.  Do I download eset, run installation , then uninstall norton? Or download, delete norton, then install eset? 

Thanks for any insight offered.

Edited by Ragtop69GS, 11 January 2017 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

Answer to question 2 would be uninstall the old AV first, then restart and then install the new AV. Safest way of practice by experience.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

In question one, what type of backups are you referring to?

Are referring to Norton Backup & Restore a product that is specific to them or the locaation of the backup using Secure Online Storage as explained here?

From what I understand, Norton automatically backups certain data into its own file categories. By default, Norton displays the backup location of the most recent backup and the original locations of the files. When Norton backs files up to CDs or DVDs, it sometimes has to split files between two discs as explained here so that is specific to Norton?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hi:

2) This question relates to the sequence of events to change.  Do I download eset, run installation , then uninstall norton? Or download, delete norton, then install eset? 

I suggest the following:

1. {Best practice: create at least a Windows Restore Point, if not a system image to an external hard drive; backup one's data}
  2. Have available before you start your license information for both the NEW AV and for the OLD AV (just in case).
  3. Download and save (but do NOT run yet) the installer for the new AV.
  4. Download and save the vendor's removal tool for the old AV (most AV vendors publish such a tool).
  5. Uninstall the old AV from the Windows Control Panel, keeping "nothing", if given a choice.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Run the vendor's removal tool, if needed, to fully remove remnants and leftovers (leftover drivers, in particular can cause issues).
  8. Reboot.
  9. Run the installer for the new AV.
  10. Activate with your license, configure, and update the new AV...

This method will provide a bit of a safety net, in the unlikely event that something goes amiss with the new AV install.

And it will minimize the time spent "unprotected" with no AV.

(IOW, it would not be good to uninstall old AV before obtaining the installer for the new AV.  You would not want to access the internet, even to an AV vendor's web site, without an installed AV).

One other thing to check before you start: some AV vendors have dropped support for Windows XP.  Before you choose a new AV for the XP system, I would double-check to be sure it will run on that platform.

Cheers,

MM

P.S. Not sure what you mean by "Win7 SP2".  There was only one official SP for Win7.  I presume you are referring to some sort of unofficial "SP2"???

#5 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

Hi:

P.S. Not sure what you mean by "Win7 SP2".  There was only one official SP for Win7.  I presume you are referring to some sort of unofficial "SP2"???

Fat fingers strike again!  Thanks for your guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users