Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU for Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hey all. Interested in upgrading my AMD processor to one that is close in performance of the top range Intel i5s. 5th to 7th generations I'm guessing.

Specs

Motherboard:         Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H

Processor:              AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core

Heatsink:                Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Video Card:            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (8GB)

Memory:                 Avexir Core Series 8GB DDR3-1600 [Qty 2]

Power Supply:        EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Case:                     Deepcool Tesseract SW ATX Mid Tower Case

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

Just going off of pcpartpicker the AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core is the highest reviewed chip compatible with my motherboard. Also heard of AMD's claim to be on par with i7s with their announced Ryzen chip. Even with their demonstration(s) I'm uncertain if it will deliver let alone if I need that much power. Admittedly I don't game intensely; GTA V is the most demanding game I own with some simulators and novice video editing here and there.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Edited by Lilium, 12 January 2017 - 12:41 AM.

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

Well with out changing mobos that's the best you can do, think you know were your going so i don't know what to say besides that.

by the way what version of your mobo do you have ? seems theirs more then one version.

#3 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

by the way what version of your mobo do you have ? seems theirs more then one version.

Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+, BIOS: 04/09/15 Ver: 04.06.05

Unfortunately this rig isn't even one year old so I'd hate to upgrade the motherboard so soon. Though if I did and on an ideal budget which brands and models would you recommend? My case [added to first post] supports (Micro) ATX and Mini ITX.

Edited by Lilium, 12 January 2017 - 12:42 AM.

Tempus Fugit

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

My self id take this.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-8750.html

Don't know why this chip is rated at 65tdp and the one your thinking about is 100tdp, big difference in tdp from one chip to the other and best i can tell their the same as well overclocking fixs the mhz speed difference problem though if the tdp jumps like mad just over 500mgz i don't know what to say.

As well are FM2 and FM2+ sockets inter-compatible ? im a bit behind on my hardware research.

Unfortunately this rig isn't even one year old so I'd hate to upgrade the motherboard so soon. Though if I did and on an ideal budget which brands and models would you recommend? My case [added to first post] supports (Micro) ATX and Mini ITX.

hemm wish i could help but im so behind in my understanding of whats going on with new hardware, i don't even know what chip-sets are hot/not for AMD at the moment, and to answer that question i would have to do a lot of research :(

Think i should log in to a hardcore pc hardware forum for a bit at some point soon.

#5 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

It's fine as I do appreciate your input. The processor you mentioned isn't listed on pcpartpicker though it shares the same FM2+ socket as my current one.

FM2 and FM2+

Edited by Lilium, 12 January 2017 - 01:52 AM.

Tempus Fugit

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

All following are quad cores

Athlon X4 860K: Steamroller 3.7/4.0 GHz

A10-6800K: Piledriver 4.1/4.4 GHz

A10-8750: Piledriver 3.6/4.0 GHz

Steamroller>Piledriver

So basically excluding integrated graphics, Athlon X4 860K is better than A10-8750. A10-6800K is bit better than Athlon X4 860K but certainly NOT worth an upgrade.

For upgrade, you will need new motherboard too. Perhaps Ryzen and AM4 will bring some exciting mATX offers.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 12 January 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Looking at it that way i wouldn't upgrade the cpu id just get a aggressive cooling setup going and overclock the chip and call it a day its that or wait and change the mobo and cpu................

10113514898l.png

#8 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Duly noted. I'll wait it out. Now I've tried overclocking my Athlon using AMD Catalyst. The stress test failed at 4.6 but even the lowest OC of 3.8 causes noticable performance degradation just watching YouTube videos (plus other background processes). I have a decent heat sink and good air circulation with 6 corsair fans. I'm thinking my power supply isn't giving enough. I'll post stats and run other tests when I can later.

Tempus Fugit

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

That and its a big cpu at 95TDP so you relly need good cooling on that sucker and it dousen't like heat, at lest its a older cpu now and not worth much so you can have some fun with it and even if it brakes its cheap to replace.

Cpu like that is worth what $10 now used?

hemm if were going down that road id say stop at 1.5v for the core AMD recommends 0.825V - 1.475V , more then that and its at your own risk.

Max heat seems to be 72c for your cpu, though the cpu might become unstable at lower, seems a lot of the AMD cpus of late really dont like heat, some like the new 8 core AMD is as low ac 60c.

Seems you have the fastest Kaveri core cpu ever made and if you have to cooling you don't need the turbo topic, its just to keep the heat topic down but all the cores are rated to take 4000mgz.

On the Piledriver core topic if its the same core as the Kaveri  from my research it seems the fastest they made was 4200mgz  if its the same core that should be your safe limit for your overclock, pushing past that is going in to the unknown and at your own risk.

500mgz overclock is hardly worth it too :/ not a good OC chip.

#10 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Keeping it cool. Below are my case fan arrangements omitting the front intake and side panel out of frame. Three horizontal fans pulling air up and the vertical fan to the left pulling out. Again I need to monitor the temps under load and light overclocking. If managing the processor temperature is my only concern at this point I should be looking into radiators. Any recommendations?

Spoiler

Tempus Fugit

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

ok the mods here are hyper about people going off topic in this forum so i have to stop posting about tweaking your hardware even if you are the OP, please start a new topic in regards to tweaking your system if you want to chat about the topic, sorry i have to go their but if i don't a mod will in any case and just lock the thread so you know...

#12 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Alright.

Tempus Fugit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users