Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Privliges/UAC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aah11b

aah11b

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

I need an expert in the BS UAC/administrator privliges/whatever that has been plaguing me since Windows 7.

Could someone direct me to the manual that explains this wonderful thing that keeps me from moving a file from one folder to the other? I am a Microsoft Flight Simulator user and I cannot even move folders around as needed due to this wonderful idea invented by some genius at Microsoft.

I wish to become a master of this BS feature so that I may incapacitate it once and for all and so I can use my new computer that I just paid for as I would like.

I have read hundreds of articles, forum instructions and more trying to figure this out, while using at least three different computers. No suggestion I have followed has ever worked to give me true control of my files. I have wasted hour upon hour of my life with this with the only results being that I learn what not to do.

Is there anyone on this entire Earth who understands completely this fine feature and could actually give me some advice that works?

Thanks,

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

What do you mean by 'give me true control of my files''?

What exact error or message do you get when trying to move a file from one folder to another?

Here is UAC control explained in a very understandable way

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/using-and-configuring-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-10/

(Please don't take offense at the webpage title :))

#3 aah11b

aah11b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

I mean, when I move a file or folder, I no longer want to be told I am not allowed to do this. No one but me uses this computer.

Ha no offense taken. It's a rather accurate title. :D

Thanks a lot, I will check it out.

Andrew

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
   2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
   3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
   4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 aah11b

aah11b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

No, I am well familiar with that move. Never works. I'm dealing mainly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. I try to move folders and files to their proper location and I get the admin privilege BS. I have done the procedure you describe on the entire Flight sim folder and all it's contents many times in all possible combinations, and it still acts as though I have done nothing. I have not liked Windows since XP. If MS flight sim easily worked on a Mac, I would have switched years ago.

Thanks.

Edited by aah11b, 12 January 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#6 aah11b

aah11b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Opera - that's not what I'm talking about. I am talking about after I right click on a file or folder, select 'Properties" and the the security tab. Anything that follows after that are the menus I am talking about that I want to master. It seems quite complex. I am the only one who uses this computer and there are all kinds of selections; 'user', 'administrator', 'trusted applications', and a few more.

I have tried all kinds of things and still cannot seem to understand all of it.

I was looking for a manual for this particular feature.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users