Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Flash crashes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Hi. I've been having increasingly frequent problem with Flash when using Firefox. Basically, I'll go a webpage, the browser will stop responding, then after a few seconds, a box will pop up with the heading "Warning: Unresponsive Plugin" and some text about Shockwave flash being busy. Sometimes it resolves itself, but it still causes a significant delay (usually over one minute). Other times, it tells me that it has crashed and I have to reload the page. Either way, it's extremely annoying and makes my time online less productive. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Is there some kind of alternative to Shockwave Flash that performs the same role but with more stability? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Can you uninstall Flash, then get the freshest copy from Adobe's website? (Be sure to uncheck unwanted offers!!!) There are a couple of reasons why this can happen... definitely a corrupted Flash Player installation can be to blame. Also, please disable hardware acceleration in Flash.

Results? :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Can you uninstall Flash, then get the freshest copy from Adobe's website? (Be sure to uncheck unwanted offers!!!) There are a couple of reasons why this can happen... definitely a corrupted Flash Player installation can be to blame. Also, please disable hardware acceleration in Flash.

Results? :)

bwv848,

First of all, thank you for your response. I wanted to wait to write my own response to give it some time and see how things go. Unfortunately, though, it's still happening. The only thing is that it MIGHT be resolving itself a bit faster, though that could also just be normal variation. So, it's most likely fair to say at this point that the reinstall didn't really work. This seems to be a fairly persistent problem. Thanks again for trying!

Edited by js10, 12 January 2017 - 11:43 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,952 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Greetings,

Did you disable hardware acceleration already? Let's disable Flash Player protected mode:

• Open Firefox, and in the Search or enter address bar, type in about:addons.
• Under Shockwave Flash, click Options.
• Uncheck Enable Adobe Flash protected mode.
• Restart Firefox and check performance.

If the problem still persists, please re-enable Adobe Flash protected mode. Also, if possible, please reinstall your graphics drivers.

Thank you.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi. First of all,  yes, disabling hardware acceleration was actually the first thing I tried -- with the new install, it's still unchecked.

I did just uncheck Enable Adobe Flash protected mode, and we'll see if it has any effect -- it's a bit too early to tell right now (it doesn't happen THAT often). I did notice, when I clicked "learn more," though, something about this option making it more difficult for hackers to access my computer. How much at risk am I putting myself by trying this?

Lastly, as for reinstalling the graphics drivers, to be honest (as not much of a techie), I would have absolutely no idea how to do that. So, hopefully it won't come to that!

Thanks again.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,952 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

I did just uncheck Enable Adobe Flash protected mode, and we'll see if it has any effect -- it's a bit too early to tell right now (it doesn't happen THAT often). I did notice, when I clicked "learn more," though, something about this option making it more difficult for hackers to access my computer. How much at risk am I putting myself by trying this?

Good question. :)

Basically, Flash Player Protected Mode was an added security feature implemented into Firefox in 2012. When Protected Mode is enabled, there will be two "FlashPlayerPlugin_<version>.exe processes present. While this is a great security feature, it can cause crashes, freezes, slow or busy script warnings, etc. You can find more information about Protected Mode here.

So to answer your question — does it put your computer at more risk? Yes, it does; but in my opinion, if you don't visit scratchy websites, install random programs, etc., you should be OK for the time being. We are only going to leave it temporarily enabled for troubleshooting purposes.

Just one quick question... are you using the latest version of Firefox?

#7 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Well, unfortunately the problem is still occurring anyway, but on the bright side, I guess I might as well re-enable protected mode and not have to worry about that. But I guess the culprit is something else...

And, yes, it's version 50.1.0, which Firefox says is the newest version. In fact, come to think of it, it might even be that that's when the problem started -- when it last updated. I'm not sure, but it could be, so maybe that tells you something.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Are you having problems with your flash player or your shockwave player? They are two different API as far as I know. What does this Shockwave test say? Or this Macromedia test? Finally, have you tried Firefox plugin scan?

#9 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

Are you having problems with your flash player or your shockwave player? They are two different API as far as I know. What does this Shockwave test say? Or this Macromedia test? Finally, have you tried Firefox plugin scan?

Okay, the results of the tests are very odd. Both the Shockwave test AND the Macromedia test say the same thing -- "a plugin is needed to display this content" (in a gray box). However, I swear to you that videos (which I believe require these plugins) DO work in my browser -- it's just that they freeze/crash sometimes. If they weren't even part of my browser, though, I would think that videos just wouldn't play at all. As for the scan, under "common plugins you should check often," it does say Adobe Flash Player and then right under that "Shockwave Flash 24.0 r0," but then "up to date." Lastly, to answer your initial question, well, I don't know for sure, but if you look at my original post, when this happens, the box that pops up does say something about Shockwave flash being busy, so I would have to think that it's at least involved. So, nothing really conclusive here (I think), but I hope this at least helps! Thanks.

Edited by js10, 15 January 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Videos don't typically use Macromedia or Shockwave. That is Flash. 3 separate but somewhat related things.Perhaps it would help to know what webpage you are going to so we can know for sure what plugins it use. Then we can go from there to make sure those plugins are working. Otherwise we might be troubleshooting two things that have nothing to do with your problem.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,952 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing the problem. Please perform this:

• Open Firefox, and in the Search or enter address bar, type in about:support, and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Click Copy text to clipboard.

• Paste the information in your next reply

#12 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

Trikein,

There's no one website it happens to. It can really happen with any site with video on it. Youtube is certainly one (but hardly the only) example.

bwv848,

Here is the information you requested:

Application Basics Name Firefox Version 50.1.0 Build ID 20161208153507 Update History Show Update History Update Channel release User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 OS Windows_NT 5.1 Profile Folder Show Folder Enabled Plugins about:plugins Build Configuration about:buildconfig Memory Use about:memory Performance about:performance Registered Service Workers about:serviceworkers Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons) Safe Mode false Profiles about:profiles Crash Reports for the Last 3 Days Report ID Submitted bp-b68072e3-3496-4a36-9da1-c9be52170115 6 hours ago bp-dd46874c-4ebf-4109-a35d-0dbf32170115 6 hours ago

All Crash Reports

This application has not been configured to display crash reports.

Extensions Name Version Enabled ID Application Update Service Helper 1.0 true aushelper@mozilla.org Disconnect 3.15.3.1-signed.1-signed true 2.0@disconnect.me FEBE 8.9.3.1 true {4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3} LastPass 3.3.2 true support@lastpass.com Messenger for Google™ Hangouts 0.1.8 true jid1-uqbSKwXpf2K6yl@jetpack Multi-process staged rollout 1.5 true e10srollout@mozilla.org Pocket 1.0.5 true firefox@getpocket.com Web Compat 1.0 true webcompat@mozilla.org AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.9.98 false {22119944-ED35-4ab1-910B-E619EA06A115} Free Download Manager plugin 1.5.5 false fdm_ffext@freedownloadmanager.org Java Quick Starter 1.0 false jqs@sun.com Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 false {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} RaterAide 4.5 false jid1-uPkhccQwZ0FMIA@jetpack Rating Program Toolbar 2.0.0 false jid1-WorkMSKEynBuBQ@jetpack turkopticon 3.41.1-signed.1-signed false {4324f4a6-3a89-477e-b388-6bca032df78b} Graphics Features Compositing Basic Asynchronous Pan/Zoom none WebGL Renderer WebGL creation failed: * Error during ANGLE OpenGL init. * Error during ANGLE OpenGL init. * Error during ANGLE OpenGL init. * Error during ANGLE OpenGL init. * Error during ANGLE OpenGL init. WebGL2 Renderer (no info) Hardware H264 Decoding No; Failed to create H264 decoder Audio Backend winmm DirectWrite false (0.0.0.0) GPU #1 Active Yes Description ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Vendor ID 0x1002 Device ID 0x5b62 Driver Version 8.593.100.0 Driver Date 2-10-2010 Drivers ati2dvag Subsys ID 06021002 RAM Unknown GPU #2 Diagnostics AzureCanvasAccelerated 0 AzureCanvasBackend skia AzureContentBackend cairo AzureFallbackCanvasBackend cairo failures [GFX1]: [D3D9] insufficient capabilities Decision Log D3D11_COMPOSITING unavailable by runtime: Direct3D11 not available on this computer DIRECT2D unavailable by default: Direct2D is not available on Windows XP D3D11_HW_ANGLE disabled by env: D3D11 compositing is disabled Crash Guard Disabled Features Workarounds Failure Log (#0) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#7) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#8) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#9) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#10) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#11) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#12) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#13) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#14) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#15) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#16) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#17) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#18) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#19) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 (#20) Assert [D3D9] insufficient capabilities (#21) Assert [D3D9] Could not Initialize the DeviceManagerD3D9 Important Modified Preferences Name Value accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar 0 browser.cache.disk.capacity 358400 browser.cache.disk.filesystem_reported 1 browser.cache.disk.hashstats_reported 1 browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run false browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max false browser.cache.frecency_experiment 1 browser.download.importedFromSqlite true browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion 8 browser.sessionstore.upgradeBackup.latestBuildID 20161208153507 browser.startup.homepage www.google.com browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID 20161208153507 browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone 50.1.0 browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 true browser.urlbar.userMadeSearchSuggestionsChoice true dom.apps.lastUpdate.buildID 20161019084923 dom.apps.lastUpdate.mstone 49.0.2 dom.apps.reset-permissions true dom.max_chrome_script_run_time 0 dom.mozApps.used true extensions.lastAppVersion 50.1.0 font.internaluseonly.changed true gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion 50.1.0 gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.deviceID 0x5b62 gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.driverVersion 8.593.100.0 gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d2d true gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d3d11 true gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.gfx.driver-init.direct3d11-angle false gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.gfx.driver-init.webgl-angle false gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.gfx.driver-init.webgl-angle-force-d3d11 false gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.gfx.driver-init.webgl-angle-force-warp false gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.gfx.driver-init.webgl-angle-try-d3d11 true gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d11layers 2 gfx.crash-guard.status.glcontext 2 gfx.driver-init.appVersion 42.0 gfx.driver-init.deviceID 0x5b62 gfx.driver-init.driverVersion 8.593.100.0 gfx.driver-init.feature-d2d false gfx.driver-init.feature-d3d11 false gfx.driver-init.status 2 media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi x86-msvc-x86 media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate 1472162030 media.gmp-eme-adobe.version 17 media.gmp-gmpopenh264.abi x86-msvc-x86 media.gmp-gmpopenh264.lastUpdate 1471491658 media.gmp-gmpopenh264.version 1.6 media.gmp-manager.buildID 20161208153507 media.gmp-manager.lastCheck 1484436446 media.gmp.storage.version.observed 1 media.hardware-video-decoding.failed true media.webrtc.debug.aec_log_dir C:\DOCUME~1\JORDAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp/ media.webrtc.debug.log_file C:\DOCUME~1\JORDAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp/WebRTC.log network.auth.allow-subresource-auth 2 network.cookie.prefsMigrated true network.predictor.cleaned-up true places.database.lastMaintenance 1484344932 places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages 107180 plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types application/pdf plugin.importedState true plugin.state.npgoogletalk 2 plugin.state.npo1d 2 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_bgcolor false print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_bgimages false print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_colorspace   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_command   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_downloadfonts false print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_duplex 1515870810 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_edge_bottom 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_edge_left 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_edge_right 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_edge_top 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_evenpages true print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_footercenter   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_footerleft &PT print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_footerright &D print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_headercenter   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_headerleft &T print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_headerright &U print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_in_color true print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_margin_bottom 0.5 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_margin_left 0.5 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_margin_right 0.5 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_margin_top 0.5 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_oddpages true print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_orientation 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_page_delay 50 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_data 1 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_height -1.00 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_name   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_size_type 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_size_unit 1 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_paper_width -1.00 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_plex_name   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_resolution 600 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_resolution_name   print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_reversed false print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_scaling 1.00 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_shrink_to_fit true print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_to_file false print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_unwriteable_margin_bottom 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_unwriteable_margin_left 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_unwriteable_margin_right 0 print.printer_Canon_MX390_series_Printer.print_unwriteable_margin_top 0 privacy.sanitize.migrateClearSavedPwdsOnExit true privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs true security.sandbox.content.tempDirSuffix {8e3097bd-412c-4c03-8b56-502c2ed8ebb8} services.sync.declinedEngines   storage.vacuum.last.index 1 storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite 1482369066 user.js Preferences

Your profile folder contains a user.js file, which includes preferences that were not created by Firefox.

Important Locked Preferences Name Value Places Database Integrity Verify Integrity JavaScript Incremental GC true Accessibility Activated false Prevent Accessibility 0 Library Versions   Expected minimum version Version in use NSPR 4.12 4.12 NSS 3.26.2 3.26.2 NSSSMIME 3.26.2 3.26.2 NSSSSL 3.26.2 3.26.2 NSSUTIL 3.26.2 3.26.2 Experimental Features Name ID Description Active End Date Homepage Branch Sandbox Content Process Sandbox Level 1

Edited by js10, 15 January 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,952 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Thanks. Is it possible to copy and paste the information directly from the page so the formatting doesn't get messed up?

One of the crash reports blame these two DLLs:

atgpcext.dll from WebEx Download Module.

npatgpc.dll from ActiveTouch General Plugin Container

These two files are related to some plug-in/program by Cisco WebEx. Please temporarily disable any Cisco WebEx plug-ins in Firefox for troubleshooting purposes. Results?

If you're still having trouble, please run MiniToolBox:

:step1: MiniToolBox by Farbar

• Download and save MiniToolBox from here.
• Double-click on MiniToolBox.exe to run it.
• Hit Select All and click Go. (You may uncheck Reset IE Proxy/FF Proxy Settings if you have intentionally setup a proxy server.)
• Once MiniToolBox is complete, it will open a text file called MTB.txt, which is stored in the same directory you ran MiniToolBox from.
• Please copy and paste the contents of MTB.txt in your next reply.

#14 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

It's funny that you picked out Cisco WebEx. I could do that if you really like, but I can just about guarantee you that that's not the culprit. How? Because I actually just installed that last Thursday for an online meeting I wanted to attend. In other words, I installed it after I started this thread, never mind when I started having this problem. Do you still want me to disable it?

PS. Please let me know, and then next time I'll re-paste the old information and then run that second test and paste that, too.

Edited by js10, 16 January 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,952 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

O.K., I understand. This crash report indicated that ActiveTouch General Plugin Container caused a crash, so I thought that disabling Cisco WebEx plug-in(s) would be good idea. If you have been experiencing these crashes before installing the Cisco plug-in(s), then I guess we could leave it enabled.

Anyway, post the info from about:support again, so that I can have a look at the latest crash reports.

Edited by bwv848, 16 January 2017 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users