Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A program that scans the system and updates the drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcowner

pcowner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Is there a program that can automate driver updates? Until now, I went to device manager and under each category (hardware), I right clicked and selected to search for a new driver.

I found several sites promoting such programs, is there one that is trustworthy?

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/5-easy-ways-to-keep-your-drivers-up-to-date-682178

https://www.maketecheasier.com/keep-windows-drivers-up-to-date/

https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

I found several sites promoting such programs, is there one that is trustworthy?.......NO

Best to let Windows 10 handle the updates. If you are having a problem that you think a corrupted driver or driver update

could solve....then get those drivers from the developer/ manufacturer of whatever device/ hardware you think is the problem.

If you are actually experiencing such a problem describe it. Otherwise, the old maxim applies...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

There is no "one-for-all" driver updater in Windows. In order to update one must do it manually, driver by driver. That is the way Windows is designed.

As buddy215 said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It is usually wise to only update a driver if it is causing a problem.

#4 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

The advice above is sound and I have generally followed it. However, after recently buying a new dual boot PC (Windows and Android) I found it had 30 drivers in need of updating, so as a long term user of several IOBit programs such as Advanced System Care I decided to to use their free Driver Booster, which I had used occasionally in the past. It was easy and updated all required drivers automatically and quickly. The program provides information on the existing drivers and updates. You can select just one or as many as you want. You can roll them back if any problems are experienced ---I have not had problems (so far). There is an article in Wikipedia about it and it is available from several download sites or IOBit itself. In the past IOBit had a bad reputation for heavy handed promotion of its programs, but I believe this to be less of an issue now. Its programs are often recommended by UK magazines ComputerActive and WebUser. I am only a satisfied customer.

www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hi:

I'm with @buddy215 and @Gorbulan on this, with the minor qualification that -- if this is an OEM (aka "brand name") computer, such as Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Toshiba -- it may sometimes be preferable to obtain updated drivers (when needed) not via Windows Update, but from the computer manufacturer's website.  They will have tested the drivers on their hardware and in their environment before publishing them.

As far as IOBit, in addition to software that is no longer highly regarded, there was this:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/33217-iobit-theft-conclusion/

(A standard internet search will turn up many similar references.)

Up to you, of course.

Cheers,

MM

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Ignore the iobit fanboy, it's a spammer.

I'm with @buddy215 and @Gorbulan on this, with the minor qualification that -- if this is an OEM (aka "brand name") computer, such as Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Toshiba -- it may sometimes be preferable to obtain updated drivers (when needed) not via Windows Update, but from the computer manufacturer's website.  They will have tested the drivers on their hardware and in their environment before publishing them.

This is true, especially in the case of laptops.

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

I had three reasons for posting in this thread (1) the question is about programs which 'automate' driver updating for batches of programs, not just one or two (2) I was in a similar position a few weeks ago (3) I have used a program which I think precisely answers the stated requirements and does so (so far) without problems.

As regards IOBit softeware I feel that some posters in this forum take a stance which might be characterised as "If you give a dog a bad name it will hang with it". As I mentioned, some reservations about IOBit are more than likely justified but originate from past behaviour, in fact long before I discovered the developer. I have not seen their response regarding the dispute with Malwarebytes (whose software I have also used for a long time) so I cannot evaluate that. But what is the IOBit "software that is no longer highly regarded? Please name it. In stark contrast the twice monthly magazine 'ComputerActive' (and its sister 'WebUser) not only recommend various IOBit programs in response to reader's requests for help, but have also published comparison reviews in which they give IOBit offerings their Gold Award. Specific examples have been DriverBooster, Uninstaller (on a par with the excellent RevoUninstaller), SmartDefrag and MalwareFighter. So what are the 'programs no longer highly regarded'?  Please name them so I can see if ComputerActive will review them. 

#8 pcowner

pcowner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

don't mean to sway the topic, i'll probably start a new thread, but you mentions Malwarebytes, I loved it until now, the update can't be installed because of their driver, mbae64.sys, problems, their support or cleaner didn't help

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hi:

don't mean to sway the topic, i'll probably start a new thread, but you mentions Malwarebytes, I loved it until now, the update can't be installed because of their driver, mbae64.sys, problems, their support or cleaner didn't help

That issue is known to the developers.

A fix is planned.

Until then, there are some workarounds.

However, even though you are the Topic Starter here, I suggest that you please start a new topic either HERE at bleeping or HERE at the Malwarebytes forum.

(The latter may be preferable, so that it will be noticed by the developers, QA team and other staff members who are working to fix the many bugs in version 3.0.)

Thanks,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users