Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired ethernet network problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shugiosha

Shugiosha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

My custom built older computer is no longer connecting to the internet (yellow triangle). I can connect with other devices, and verified that the ethernet cable was not the problem.

My connection is through comcast on a technicolor tc8305c. I am running windows 7 home on a 64 bit system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Are you saying that other systems can connect using this modem-router...but your system does not?  Does the wifi aspect work with your system?

Have you tried the wired ethernet connection to other systems?

Louis

#3 Shugiosha

Shugiosha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

The wired does work even with the same cable on my other computers. The problem computer does not have wireless.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Start an elevated command mode, and type:  ipconfig (press Enter)

Find your ip address, and type: ping [your_ip_address] (press Enter)

If you have a reply of failure to receive 4 sent packets, your problem is in your computer.

If successful and 4 packets are returned, then type: ping google.com

If that ping fails the problem is in your router/modem. I doubt this is the reason since your other computers can access the internet, but try it anyway.

If you are running integrated network connection (the NIC is part of the mainboard) you can try SFC Scannow command. It may or may not work. If no joy, try a system restore from a time point immediately before this all started.

If that fails, and if you have the system drivers for that computer on a separate CD,l try reinstalling the networking drivers.

If that fails, I suggest getting a USB wireless dongle and trying that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users