Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC on start-up (2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

I started a similar thread here : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/637088/slow-pc-on-start-up/?view=getnewpost

It was suggested by moderator hamlius that i start a new topic in this forum. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

From the other thread:

Hamlius to you:

1)  You have multiple programs installed as AVs...this typically leads to trouble.  Suggest you uninstall all, then reinstall a single program offering AV protection.

2)  Also appears that you may have illegal versions of software installed.  The major threat from cracked software lies in the malware arena.  To check this, I suggest that you initiate a new topic in the Am I Infected forum here at BC.

Your response [from the other thread]:

I only have Avast and Malwarebytes installed...is malwarebytes considered an AV as well? I was told i could use them together, is this not the case?

Which Avast do you have installed?  Avast Anti-virus or Avast Internet Security?  Avast AV and MBAM [which to my knowledge is not an AV program] should co-exist just fine.  There are other services and modules from Avast AV or from Avast IS, such might possibly collide with MBAM.  I have not used the recent versions of either one.

Cracked software from torrent downloads, as Hamlius said, often leads to un-wanted extras, malware.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 January 2017 - 02:02 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

From the other thread:

Hamlius to you:

1)  You have multiple programs installed as AVs...this typically leads to trouble.  Suggest you uninstall all, then reinstall a single program offering AV protection.

2)  Also appears that you may have illegal versions of software installed.  The major threat from cracked software lies in the malware arena.  To check this, I suggest that you initiate a new topic in the Am I Infected forum here at BC.

Your response [from the other thread]:

I only have Avast and Malwarebytes installed...is malwarebytes considered an AV as well? I was told i could use them together, is this not the case?

Which Avast do you have installed?  Avast Anti-virus or Avast Internet Security?  Avast AV and MBAM [which to my knowledge is not an AV program] should co-exist just fine.  There are other services and modules from Avast AV or from Avast IS, such might possibly collide with MBAM.  I have not used the recent versions of either one.

Cracked software from torrent downloads, as Hamlius said, often leads to un-wanted extras, malware.

The cracked software is a couple of PC games i have, got them from a friend and they have been installed for quite some time, close to a year. Never had a problem until recently. Also, until recently, i had Bit-defender installed, which would not allow any cracked software on my PC.  I have Avast Premier installed now. I do have BitTorrent, but haven't downloaded anything with it in a very long time. Also, when i downloaded torrents in the past, I'd only download from trusted uploaders. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

"...I have Avast Premier installed now..."  I'm somewhat familiar with Avast Premier [having used it for about 2-3 years+], what services and modules have been installed along with the AV services/module?  I'm wondering if something other than the AV is clashing with MBAM or other things from time to time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

"...I have Avast Premier installed now..."  I'm somewhat familiar with Avast Premier [having used it for about 2-3 years+], what services and modules have been installed along with the AV services/module?  I'm wondering if something other than the AV is clashing with MBAM or other things from time to time.

It has clean-up and VPN. i had Bitdefender installed about 2 weeks ago before Avast was installed.

Edited by SociallyAwkward, 11 January 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

I never used cleanup or VPN, can you give me a little more info about each one?

#7 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:38 AM

They are both included in the Avast premier package, however need separate licenses to be activated. Cleanup deletes old files, and cleans up the registry. Not really what to say about the vpn. I'm thinking my problem is Malware now, because when i logged into windows this morning, my windows theme is different. Its the old windows theme, with different symbols for the exit, minimize and maximize buttons.

#8 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:01 AM

Running a virus scan, 1 infected file so far. this is strange cause when i ran the scan  a few days ago it found nothing...

#9 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:29 AM

Found a total of two infected files, disinfected,  restarted the pc and started a boot time scan. PC is still a bit slow for a few mins after starting up but is a bit better. I still have the strange windows theme, and i'm unable to select windows any of the Aero themes.

#10 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Any help?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Because I'm in school all day this week, going to defer to others who have much more time than I.  Do you still have BitDefender and Avast AV installed and running?  If so, others here may have you choose the one you want to stay and uninstall the other.

#12 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Because I'm in school all day this week, going to defer to others who have much more time than I.  Do you still have BitDefender and Avast AV installed and running?  If so, others here may have you choose the one you want to stay and uninstall the other.

Nope, i uninstalled BitDefender before installing Avast.

Edited by SociallyAwkward, 12 January 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#13 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Okay so i ran MBAM now, and it found some malware. Deleted the files, rebooted the pc and now the theme is back to normal again, but it still is slow for about 3-5 minutes. Not sure if I'm really free of malware now...

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

I just thought of something:  download, install, run the 30-day-trial version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware [and AV].  Emsisoft is quite assertive in digging out malware and such.  Before running it, set Emsisoft to quarantine anything it finds a PUP or malware or virus.  That way, any false positives can be quickly corrected.  And, the quarantine bucket will be a great source of information to the malware team.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 January 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#15 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

So then I'll have to uninstall Avast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users