Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal PC problems in dire need of resolution.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wabuske

Wabuske

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:34 AM

I've had my PC for about 2 years now, I built it myself and have had no serious problems until now.

Recently my PC had started to bug a bit when I booted it up, with the "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." I wasn't too concerned at the time, and was busy doing things so I couldn't look into it further. It happened only sporadically and could be easily bypassed by simply restarting my computer.

A week goes by and more things start going awry. My mouse (attached through a one of many USB ports leading directly to my motherboard) would randomly stop working, all lights would go off, and no amount of tinkering with USBs fixed it. Only after a series of restarts did it start working again. On top of that my computer blue screened out of the blue (pun fully intended) while I was away from it. I couldn't seek out a proper fix to the problem due to me being away from home at a weekend long LAN party. 

Now fast forward to 2 hours ago. All of my USB devices randomly stop as soon as I plug something in. I try restarting my PC and a new screen pops up: "AMERICAN MEGATRENDS." It said I had no USBs connected, no keyboard, mouse, nothing, and rebuted 15 seconds later. That screen continued to pop up on restart, so I hopped on my laptop hoping to find a solution.

Now I'm here, battered, disillusioned, and baffled at the nature of the situation. Out of the 20 different fixes I found online, I was only able to try four of them until my computer stopped communicating with my monitor completely (but now it's working with my keyboard and mouse. kek). It wouldn't even let me inter BIOS, prior to the whole thing going haywire.

Tell, me Doc. is she going to live, or should I pull the plug now? My suspicion is that the motherboard is fried. Any thoughts?

My motherboard is an asus m5a99x evo r2.0. Any other info needed?

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2017 - 10:50 AM.
Moved from Gen Sec to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

Sounds like your motherboard is in the process of committing suicide.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like your motherboard is in the process of committing suicide.

+1 agreed

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Please post the specification for this build including the PSU.

What operating system are you running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users