Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Un)Necessary Precautions Porting Over Files?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ZealotAspirant

ZealotAspirant

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

Posting this here because I don't think it quite fits anything else. If it isn't quite right for this forum, I apologize in advance.

Had a virus scare that (as far as I can tell) turned out to be nothing. Malwarebytes picked up on nothing. Avast picked up on nothing. Boot-time scan from Avast, nothing. Spybot Search & Destroy, nothing. Malwarebytes rootkit scan, nada.

(Actually, come to think of it, I think there was a single file left over from some stupid adware, search toolbar thing I killed ages ago, but I deleted that.)

In any case, I'm a little hypochondriac, and after a few days I decided to just start over fresh. In part also because I'd already (before my scare) noticed a little problem upon that would pop up now and then upon waking up from Sleep mode: every so often it would start lagging, my network connection would die, I wouldn't be able to open anything new, Explorer would die and not restart, and Ctrl-Alt-Delete would do nothing; all I could do would be restart my computer.

So I wiped the second HD in my computer, and installed a fresh copy of Win7 onto it. I boot from that HD now, and now that I've ensured all my Windows updates and drivers and such are up to date, it's running super smooth and flawless.

My only concern, then: if my AVs picked up nothing, and I wasn't having any noticeable issues save for the thing with Sleep mode, should I be worried about beginning the arduous task of dredging all my important files from the other HD over to this one? I'm half tempted to just say 'to heck with this' and port over everything as is, considering I'm having no problems and the HD is still coming up clean, even when I'm scanning it from the new HD with a fresh Win7 install. But I'm I would feel sfer with a second opinion.

PS: I don't have the logs from my initial scans, from the HD of concern, though I could probably dredge up the ones from the HD I'm currently using (though they all came back clean anyway).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users