Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Question on New Purchase

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 go_hercules

go_hercules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

I have a 12 year old HP desktop that is barely getting by.  It has an old AMD processor, Windows XP, and 1 Gb of ram.  All I really do is surf the web, watch youtube videos, maybe use a tax program, etc.  Would a Intel i3-6100 be plenty, or do I really need like an i5-6400.  Will probably get 8Gb of ram.  Thanks.  By the way, I am assuming I will see quite an increase in performance over my current machine ????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

You don't need even i3, even AMD A6 is more than enough.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

No point in installing 8GB RAM if you will use a 32-bit O/S.  32-bit versions of Windows can only utilize a max of 4GB RAM.

IMO, for what you would do on the system...a refurb would be just as fine as a totally new system, if money is a consideration.

Louis

#4 go_hercules

go_hercules
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Sorry, I was not clear but this will be the purchase of a brand new pre-built machine.  Probably Dell or Lenovo.  Question was whether i3 is enough for basic stuff.  I was thinking i5 would be overkill for just web surfing, youtube, etc.  Thanks.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Even i3 is overkill as said. AMD processors are cheaper and good enough. Just remember to get SSD.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Considering that all of the mentioned tasks...have been done by all processors of the last 15 years or so...any CPU from the last 10 years or so could be considered "overkill" :).  The limits of the processors...have never adversely the user's ability to do mundane, ordinary things on a system.  It's usually other components and software...which have been the bottlenecks in moving on to more robust systems, IMO.

Louis

#7 go_hercules

go_hercules
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys for that info.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

My self i could get you all setup with a new/old system for like $60 but whatever lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users