Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop DVD Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 go_hercules

go_hercules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

All the computers I have owned had the CD/DVD tray that looked like a cup holder when it came out.  They came out horizontally and you just set the CD down and away it went.  The new machines I am looking at have a DVD mechanism that is mounted vertically and when the mechanism comes out it looks like you have to snap the CD/DVD onto it.  Is this the standard now?  It sure looks and feels flimsy to me.  Do they work better than they look?  Do you have to use 2  hands to pop the CD onto it or what?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Those are not "new" and they are mounted on their sides because the OEMs decided to do that to maximize use of space on these minisystems they now sell by the boatload, IMO.

If you go to purchase an optical drive by itself...it will look just like all the other optical drives sold without being inserted into SFF-type systems.

Examples

Louis

#3 go_hercules

go_hercules
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

So, my question was whether or not they are flimsy, and do you have to use 2 hands to put the CD in.  I am looking at a Lenovo desktop that has the old style open bottom tray that I am used to.  Most of the Dells I am looking at have the other style.  So both are still used, it's just that I have never used the other one.  Thanks very much.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

No, you can use one hand.  You put the bottom end in first and tilt the disk into place and the push the drawer in.  Once part of the disk is in the drive it isn't an issue.  As hamluis said it is probably the same drive just turned on its side for space purposes.  Most optical drives can be mounted either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users