Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy Direct or through Retailer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 go_hercules

go_hercules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

I have found a new Dell Desktop that I am interested in.  I can get it direct from Dell or pickup at my local Best Buy.  The system is identical as well as the price.  Since I am not going to purchase any extended warranty of any sort I will just have the factory 1 year warranty.  That being the case, is there any advantage or disadvantage as to where to buy it from?  Wherever I get it from, it seems like after purchase I will be in the same position for the next year.  Is there any thing I am overlooking?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

IMO...I would think the retailer would be cheaper.  OEMs do not run their stores or otherwise direct purchase operations...because they are good at it or because they offer something no one else does.  They do so as a convenience for all their customers who are too inexperienced or too lazy to really shop for the best deal.

OTOH...big retailers purchase products for volume discounts from OEMs...and they can afford to pass on a portion of the money saved to their customers.

That's how I see it :).

Louis

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

Purchasing it local will save you shipping and makes any return needed much easier.  Other than that it doesn't matter which one you purchase from.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

You might want to check what BB's return policy is; there is nothing so disappointing as getting the thing home, setting it up, and find you have a DOA or severe problem. Can you return for an exchange? Do not ever trust BB's "tech" department to do anything right; don't let them repair anything. And...I do mean anything.

You might want to check Newegg.com's website for that model Dell; read over the users' reviews, and if you see a lot of problems you have a head's-up warning. Check their price...it may be lower. Newegg gives you 30 days full exchange, and if you call their 800 number they will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label for return.

Also, for general information, you will have a ton of junkware and trialware to remove on that unit before it starts running like it should.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:47 AM

My vote is for local only, my self i don't like dealing with stores/people that i can't talk to face to face and if i have a problem im back at their store with in 24 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users