Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message - disk failing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

I've considered the possibility it is actually failing, but I'm not convinced, first of all too many things seem to be going wrong at the same time for it to be a disk failure.

The problem started yesterday, when I was playing some pro evolution soccer, and it seemed like my save got corrupted and kept getting that error message. I downloaded some stuff off of some shady website in the past few days, so I'm sure it's a virus. I did not have an antivirus.

Add/remove programs didn't seem to work at first but now it does. Nothing I can remove from there that looks related to the virus.

I did src/ scannow from cmd.exe as adminstrator, but it didn't work, said something like it failed so I tried another running dism and selecting the disk in question and using the commands clean and clean up, which it did succesfully. Src/scannow still fails though.

Windows defender detected something so I told it to erase it and it did, but I still keep getting the message about my hard disk. After that I downloaded avast and did a scan, but didn't find anything wrong.

I tried turning on my camera, it told me an application is trying to access it without proper permission so I turned it off.

I tried running TDSS Killer, but it didn't find anything wrong.

This laptop has had a history of issues, the latest being the fan getting clogged and having the wrong version of windows (32 bit) installed on it.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/634013/windows-81-updates/#entry4134260

Will update with more detailed info also looking for solutions until someone has a suggestion!

Edited by accidentally, 10 January 2017 - 09:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Test your HDD with HDDScan.

• Download the zip archive and extract it to a new folder on your desktop.
  • Open the folder and double-click HDDScan.exe, and click Yes at the prompt.
  • First click on the 14akcy0.jpgbutton and wait for the report.
  • If any of the lights on the side are red please stop now and copy and paste the whole line in your reply.
  • If all are green, click on the blue disk orb 122ovt1.jpgin the middle of the screen 
  • and then "Surface Tests" from the menu that appears
  • In the new screen click 2hf3lmw.jpg
  • In the bottom Test Manager window double click the test that is executing.
  • Click on the Map tab, here you can watch the scan progress until it is finished.
  • The read times on the right are how long the blocks take to respond to query.

15f1ydd.jpg

• If you have any Bads the disk is faulty and needs replacing
  • if you have any >500ms entries your disk may become faulty sooner, rather than later.
  • <500ms entries are cautionary, this is a sign of an aging disk.

How did you go?

You may choose to start a new topic to remove any malware by following this guide, after you verify your disk health

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

• If any of the lights on the side are red please stop now and copy and paste the whole line in your reply.

005 Reallocation Sector Count 001 001 0000000000-3FF8 050

This one was red, and the next one

196 Reallocation Event Count 100 100 0000000000-04E0 000

Had a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Edited by accidentally, 10 January 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

Nice hdd app tsvk, think ill download a copy my self just cus it looks good.

Sadly needs windows to run and win2000 or newer.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks shadow, it's been my "go-to" for disk testing for some years now. It gives pretty good indications.

You're still on Win 95? or part of the Nix tribe?

--------------------------------

This a clear hardware error, that's why you are getting a disk failure warning.

With a sector count of only 1 I wouldn't say disk failure is imminent, though it has started it's descent to the junkpile. It's time to get a new disk and backup, soon.

You can go ahead and run the read scan to get some better information on your disk health. Try not to use the machine whilst it is scanning, for better results.

Edited by TsVk!, 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#6 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Ok, but what about this http://imgur.com/a/q3DR1

that is surely a virus

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Ok, but what about this http://imgur.com/a/q3DR1

that is surely a virus

Probably.

You may choose to start a new topic to remove any malware by following this guide.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

If the hdd is failing there isn't any reason to worry about the infection.  I would put an effort in backing up your important data to removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, cloud, etc.  If the drive is failing it could quit working at any time, then again, it could fumble along for a while longer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users