Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop someone from hacking into my system without a password

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wfzen

wfzen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

my teenager son learned some tricks to log into Windows 10 without any password. He used the trick and installed and played games on my PC while I was at work. I can see the login in event viewer.

How can I secure my PC so he can't break in and mess up my system?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

First.  He didn't "hack" 

and to stop him from doing that again, set a PIN instead of a password. 

Also, if he is starting to do that he may end up like the Script Kiddies that have been arrested lately (no offense whatsoever was intended) 

He is honestly lucky it didn't break your system, because most of those tools are just password removers, and those most of the time you can't do anything about, because 9/10 of them are linux based, and linux has a higher runlevel than windows does.

you can also set up a picture login or use 2 step authentication. 

if you use the latter than he will have a MUCH more difficult time removing the password. 

SideNote: You may want to talk to him about that, let him the consequences of breaking into someones computer (15 years roughly) even if it's family he was not authorized to use it. 

if he wants to learn about computers, buy/give/set up a simple very basic machine for him to play with, then if he breaks it, there's no loss, except for operator error.

(seriously, no offense whatsoever is intended, but it upsets me and people in my field when one doesn't fully understand what they are doing)

Hopefully that was helpful/informative.:)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 wfzen

wfzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I do use PIN to login. 

2. My old PIN and password are intact. I can still login with my original PIN and password.

3. Checking the security in Event viewer, I saw message that he successfully logged in. 

Other than advise him not to do it, I would like to have a way to prevent him from logging in without permission. I'm not sure how he logs in, but there appears to be a lot of info on how to login without a password.

Thanks,

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

There is a lot of info, i could go up to an unfamiliar windows 10 machine and get in in 15 seconds or so. 

and try 2-step verification that will help a lot

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users