Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software test for Hardware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Senna12

Senna12

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Sounds confusing but I am looking for a free software that will test my CPU temp., hard drive,memory and anything else. My computer is running slow and periodically I will get a message saying the CPU Fan Temp Error.  I have cleaned out my case and I have defraged my computer and cleaned out all unneccessary files.  Th computer is still running a little slow so I was wanting to test everything to see what is failing. Hard drive? Memory? CPU fans?  I'm just not sure.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Did the computer running slow problem start before or after you started getting messages about overheating your CPU?

It would help if you post the make and model of this computer and what operating system your are using.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thank you. I will post info as soon as I get home from work.

It is running Windows 7.  It started getting slower and slower and then a few weeks later I started receiving the message when the computer would reboot.

#4 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Was able to login and run Speccy.  Will have to get the PSU info this evening.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XHwVCC2NVFFajH1kYNwtDnd

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

You have 45 sectors in the Current Pending Sector Count.  Please do the following.

Run Chkdsk from Command Prompt

Please run chkdsk /r
Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thank you. I will do that part when I get home.  What does it mean by having 45 sectors in the Current Pending Sector Count?

Thanks again

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

The problem with the current sector count being a 45 sectors is that the hdd should be able to recognize these bad sectors and reallocated the data and move it to other sectors.  Be cause this is happening I'm concerned about the health of you hdd.  After rethinking this I would like for you to do the following.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Is it too late to suggest using Macrium Reflect or anything similar to do a backup image onto reliable external media of all the data folders? 

Edited by RolandJS, 10 January 2017 - 03:23 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Roland  Because of the large number of pending sectors there may be file damage.  Until we get further results from the requested scans we won't know if the sectors and their content can be reallocated.  The chkdsk /r may be able to reallocate the sectors and save the data, we won't know till they try it.

#10 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thanks. After doing the chkdsk test my computer is not booting into windows. It begins to boot up and then goes to the screen where I can choose to repair or start windows. Either one I select it just sits and doesn't boot.

Edited by Senna12, 11 January 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

The error I am getting says " S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace "

Edited by Senna12, 11 January 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

The S.M.A.R.T. is a industry standard which reports the status of the hdd's attributes.  What it is telling you is that you need to replace your hdd.  I had suspected that the hdd was failing because of the number of pending sectors, now we know.

#13 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for all your time. I'll go get a new drive this evening. Hopefully I will e able to retrieve some of the information from the hdd.

Thank you again for your time.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

#15 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

I'm hoping to be able to find it this evening. Is there an alternative place I can download it from if not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users