Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activation and Dial-Up Modem Installation

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I have what is potentially an unusual problem that I need help with.

I was given a new computer with Windows 10 for Christmas. I hadn't intended to buy a new computer until I'm able to get off of dial-up internet. I don't know how long I'll be stuck with dial-up, could be months to years as the FIOS installation keeps getting held up.

Anyway... The new computer didn't come with a modem, so I have to buy one. I plan on going with an internal modem (PCI-E), but may have to settle for a USB modem. Shouldn't I turn on the computer and test it out before installing the internal modem? If I do that, will that interfere with the Windows 10 activation? I'm assuming I would need to activate Windows, right? So do I need to activate it the first time I turn it on?

I probably wouldn't ask but I know how Microsoft is - too many uptight ridiculous rules. Also, will there be any other activation issues with me installing an internal modem? I'm not sure if this type of hardware change would cause problems or not. I'm not even clear if I get a product key or not.

I anticipate having problems anyway because of the new Windows design. I'm jumping from Windows XP to 10. I've used Windows 7 at a relative's house, but that's more like XP. I briefly used Windows 8 on my cousin's laptop to install some security measures and that was crazy confusing. I'm sure I'll be fussing and cussing for weeks, if not months.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. It's difficult to to keep up with technology when you're stuck on dial-up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

You don't provide information about the computer brand and model but unless it is a custom build Windows 10 will be already activated for sure.

Installing a new modem doesn't affect the windows activation. Careful about opening the machine to install a PCI-E card in some cases this can void the machine warranty! make sure you confirm with the manufacture of store where you purchase the machine.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Guys, Gals, is it possible to temporarily use a usb-connected dial up modem -- at least until Windows 10 activation is successful?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Guys, Gals, is it possible to temporarily use a usb-connected dial up modem -- at least until Windows 10 activation is successful?

After installing Windows it works for 30 days then it needs activation and until activated some functions will not work. During the trial period its possible to install new hardware, after the 30 days I'm not sure Windows 10 will accept that!

Don't forget that at any time you can call Microsoft and activate Windows by phone.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

The computer is a Lenovo from Best Buy. I'm not sure why that brand was selected, is it supposed to be better than HP or Dell?

That's a good point about the warranty and PCI-E modem. As it is, Best Buy's holiday return deadline is Jan 15 and I haven't even taken the computer out of the box. While the computer is a nice and very unexpected gift, it's kind of a hassle. I have to find someplace safe (I have pets) to move my current computer so that I can still use it since I won't have internet on the new computer for a while. So that's going to be a pain in the rear.

So basically, are you all saying that because the computer came from Best Buy, that Windows 10 is already activated? I still remember having to activate XP when I bought an HP computer back in '02 or '03.

I think I saw some contact info for Lenovo. I guess I'll try emailing or calling them.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

The computer is a Lenovo from Best Buy. I'm not sure why that brand was selected, is it supposed to be better than HP or Dell?

That's a good point about the warranty and PCI-E modem. As it is, Best Buy's holiday return deadline is Jan 15 and I haven't even taken the computer out of the box. While the computer is a nice and very unexpected gift, it's kind of a hassle. I have to find someplace safe (I have pets) to move my current computer so that I can still use it since I won't have internet on the new computer for a while. So that's going to be a pain in the rear.

So basically, are you all saying that because the computer came from Best Buy, that Windows 10 is already activated?

Yes computers from big brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc. are auto activated. The activation scheme used on XP and newer Windows are completely different now they are based on hardware that's why its already activated.

___
Rui

#7 Zopc

Zopc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

You probably want to turn off automatic updates:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/

How is it btw to surf the web on dialup these days? You probably should install AdBlock to keep advertisements from loading..

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

You probably want to turn off automatic updates:
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/
How is it btw to surf the web on dialup these days? You probably should install AdBlock to keep advertisements from loading..

Adding to Zopc's advice, you can "manually" choose to download and install 5 updates at a time.  Doesn't matter how long that takes, just keep doing 5 or so at a time until all is current.  That's what I did when I had dial-up.  AdBlock and uBlock Origin [the simplified self-running version] -- either one will serve you well.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 Zopc

Zopc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

Opera turbo might help too. It routes your browsing through
Opera servers and compresses the data for faster browsing..

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Unless one has absolutely no ability to do so, I'd also suggest that if this is a laptop we're talking about that you take it with you when you're going to the library, McDonalds, etc., when you expect to be spending some time and allow updates to be applied when you're on WiFi there.

I'm also unclear as to whether dial-up in this context is really dial-up (which I know still exists, but is exceedingly rare these days) or DSL.  If we're talking even slow DSL it should still be fine to let Windows 10 do its usual thing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Internal PCIe dialup modem - probably a desktop

If this is an OEM pre-installed with Windows 10 the computer is already activated. At least the key is embedded in firmware. On Windows 8 it's in the MSDM table and I assume Windows 10 puts it there also. Adding a USB modem will not alter activation. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-your-windows-10-product-key/

Right click Computer and select Properties. It will say if Windows is activated. 

#12 Zopc

Zopc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

Unless one has absolutely no ability to do so, I'd also suggest that if this is a laptop we're talking about that you take it with you when you're going to the library, McDonalds, etc., when you expect to be spending some time and allow updates to be applied when you're on WiFi there.

I'm also unclear as to whether dial-up in this context is really dial-up (which I know still exists, but is exceedingly rare these days) or DSL.  If we're talking even slow DSL it should still be fine to let Windows 10 do its usual thing.

Aol, netzero, and earthlink are still around in US and according to one estimate months
ago, still have over million dial up users. The costs of satellite are often 10
times more than that of dial up. So there are still people using it.

On chrome you can throttle your browsing speed to dial up under developer
tools. It is still viable, I tried it. You just have to have adblocker.
Ofcourse you can not stream video etc.. But sites like reddit are ok..

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Zopc,

I'm not arguing with the data you presented in any way.  That being said, one million users of anything when taken as a part of the number of computers connected to the internet is virtually statistically insignificant.

I had one client located in Deerfield, VA, who was still using dial-up.  Around here satellite service prices have dropped pretty radically as alternatives have become available to even a small part of what used to be a captive market.

I really have no idea how long some of the comprehensive updates would take to download via true dial-up speeds, but it might be feasible to manually trigger a Windows Update immediately prior to retiring for the evening and hoping that the whole thing will have downloaded prior to your needing the phone again the next morning.  There's really not much other choice except to disable Windows Update by back-door means, which I would never recommend, particularly under Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

"...it might be feasible to manually trigger a Windows Update immediately prior to retiring for the evening and hoping that the whole thing will have downloaded prior to your needing the phone again the next morning..."  Adding to britechguy's good advice, set WU to notify when downloads [and installations] become available; then PickNChoose 5-10 downloads/installs at a time.  dc3 recommends chronological order; I've done that and group the like-WUs [for example the .Net Framework ones] together during my dial-up days.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

The problem would arise when Windows does a major update in the 4GB range. That would take days on dialup. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users