Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phantom File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Camiele

Camiele

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

Whenever I bootup my computer a list of applications appears: Firefox, Edge, Note Pad, Word Pad and a few others, asking which application would I like to choose to open a file.  What file?  I have no idea what they are referring to.  Out of curiosity I finally selected Note Pad which opened the phantom file and gave the following information.  ((Hopefully I successfully attached a copy here.)

I searched for DVDVideoSoft/FreeYoutubetoMp3Converter but did not find it.  I used only the Free YouTube to MP3 o several years ago but deleted it when it stopped working properly but I never installed the converter.  This is strange.  Please help.

Thank you,

Camiele

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It looks like a log file from an uninstall of DVDVideoSoft's Free YouTube to MP3 converter that was uninstalled September 9, 2012.  Nothing to worry about and it can be deleted.  Odds are it was supposed to open on the boot after the uninstall, but you didn't have an application assigned to open the type of file.

#3 Camiele

Camiele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hello BC,

Thank you for your response and please forgive my untimely reply.  The popup notice continues to appear after every boot-up and is very annoying.  Today I finally found the file associated with the popup.  It is a plain white "File" sheet, labeled with my first name only and located under ©: Users. Just above it is also the "File Folder" with my first and last names and containing multiple folders. Is it safe to delete the single white sheet which merely contains uninstall info regarding DVDVideoSoft?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users