Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not your everyday err_connection_reset error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grit

Grit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hi folks,

We are talking about a new (1 week old) Windows 10 laptop.

Some websites like foobar2000.org , www.dslreports.com etc won't load and after 5-10 mins i'll get:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

The above message is on latest version of Chrome. On Edge browser (new IE) I just get more generic looking blank page. Connected to the same router the above mentioned websites work on my phone through wifi.

1. Netflix.com is another website that won't load but - Win10 has a netflix app on the start menu and I was able to use network on the same computer using that app. 

2. here's list list of all that I have done (not in order) but to no avail:

a. Firewall disabled

b. Anti-virus disabled (Avast)

c. booted into safe mode with networking

d. netsh winsock reset

e. accessed problem websites by ip 

f. changed dns to google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

g. assigned manual IP to my network adaptor

h. tried cabled and wifi 

i. checked of proxy is set (it wasn't it's a new computer)

j. logged out of chrome and used chrome as a guest

k. checked MTU - lowered it to 1428 on my laptop and on my router (rebooted my router) - no go.

l. disabled all extension on chrome

m. netsh interface ipv4 reset - netsh interface ipv6 reset - ipconfig /flushdns

n.  Disable DNS prefetching option in chrome and also cleared cache

o. Check permissions on the temp folder - gave full control to my user id

p. sfc /scannow

q. –ssl-version-max=tls1 in chrome 

What i haven't done so far is extensive virus/malware scan, but it's a new pc and I do not go on uncommon websites. I'll do it if you insist. 
Let me know what else can i do. 

Cheers.

Edited by Grit, 10 January 2017 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

If a website works by IP but not domain, then DNS is broken on your computer. If it only effects some websites, then next suspect is malware of some kind. If it's a brand new laptop, I would restore from day 1 and turn off Windows Update and see where you stand there. Also check your host files, which you can with MiniToolbox.

#3 Grit

Grit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Thank you Trikein.

The websites don't work with IP either (see 2.e. above)

Now  here's a worthy update,

1. I turned on data on my cell phone and used it as hotspot (disconnecting router from the computer)

The websites worked !

a. This rules out malware.

b. the same router allows connection to problem websites through phone (wifi) but not the laptop either through wifi or a wired connection. (see the sentence right above point #1 in my initial post).

I checked out "system restore to a week earlier (day 1)" option yesterday and observed that I'll have to redo a lot programs and updates again. Also that's not a very honorable way to solve this problem :D (will do it anyway after today)

Looking forward to the suggestions of this community.

Sincerely,

Grit

#4 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

this is something that google should be fixing but they are most likely napping right now, who cares the browser wars are over for now.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Ahhh no. This is not a google issue. If anything, I think there is something wrong with your computer based on your other posts. I am have been using Chrome and Google for years and never had a problem with it. 

#6 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

This is an interesting issue. Have you tried playing with the network driver? Updating, using an older version or the windows-provided one?

#7 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Xoctane- no don't know how to try my network driver or any of the other info you sent.

#8 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Triken- I have used Chrome too for years. but this is the first time I am having this situation happen.

#9 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

Xoctane- no don't know how to try my network driver or any of the other info you sent.

I think your should open your own thread and list all the information there, including what you tried so far to solve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users