Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Geo Location settings - XP?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blop

blop

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi

I'm unsure where this should be posted - I was going to try under XP.

Basically, I have recently noticed that when I search traffic or weather on my XP machine (Firefox / Chrome), it returns data relevant to me locally.  I initially thought it could be IP based.

However, from our Win 10 machines, the results returned are less specific (rather than my local area, it states London for example).  The same results are also given through wireless on our mobiles, so it's not the router / IP address.

All location options are off under XP.

What settings am I missing in XP?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Are you talking solely about Search results, which are tied to your browsers?

Louis

#3 blop

blop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Hi

Yes - if I type in traffic or weather into google for instance.

It will return information relevant to my local area, but if the same is done on other PCs (non-XP) and mobiles using wifi in the house, the results are more general (for example greater London, rather than local).

Thanks

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Have you tried deleting your temp files and cookies? 

#5 blop

blop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

I'm sure I have and have also cleared histories from Firefox and Chrome.

I just don't understand why it's happening on the XP machine running off the same internet connection / router etc.?

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

From what I understand, Google can use 4 separate systems to determine your location. From what IP it sees your router has, to the IP hitting it's servers, to GPS and AP data, to google profile settings. It is possible some of these systems aren't working on the older OS/browser, which is causing the difference.

#7 blop

blop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I have now noticed that my other devices (Android phone and tablet on wireless and Win 10 PC's) all now report the first part of my postcode, whereas before, only XP did it.  The other devices used to be Greater London.

How and why has it changed to be a little bit more accurate?

Is it Google slowly learning, despite be disabling geo-location within the browser?

#8 blop

blop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:47 AM

Just an update on this.

I cloned my XP install the other day and ran junkware removal tool and 360 TS and I'm sure that after these processes, I must have cleared out a file which held my location data on found on my XP machine.

I have since re-deployed the same image and ran those processes again, but after a few attempts, I'm still getting a more precise location reported under Google?

Was it just a coincidence?  I have also cleared out flush DNS under IPconfig.

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users