Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting down

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

The computer when plugged into the wall will shut down when trying to play several types of games. Some games will play just fine and not give me any problems. This is a new build with all new parts. Evga Nvidia 970 ssc video card, Asus pro gaming motherboard, and for 5830 cpu, corsair 16 gig ram (2 sticks), 1tb Hd, DVD burner.

I can play games like everquest ok however if I try to play steam games like GTA V it will shut down. There is no restart it's just like you pulled the cord out of the wall. I can't even do a benchmark without it shutting down.

When it does shut down and I tried to bring it back on it popped two power supplies. That's when I tried a UPS and from another post I was informed that I need a bigger UPS. Which I am in the process of getting. I want to know what is causing the computer to just shut down like it does.

Any help would be great. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

I have tried various things also swapping motherboard, leaving one stick of ram then switching only thing I haven't done is the video card.

#3 hoju89

hoju89

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I would think it'd be the power supply, seems like it has enough to power things when not under load but once you ramp it up, it can't supply enough to keep the computer running so it shuts down.

#4 Murad_Alm

Murad_Alm

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

try to do some stress tests on your CPU like Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/download/

and on your GPU: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Keep your eye on the temp to see if there is an overheating problem..

i am not an expert but those are the first steps you should make...

#5 Murad_Alm

Murad_Alm

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

BTW, i think you shuld have posted it here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/233/windows-crashes-bsod-and-hangs-help-and-support/ to get better help.  :thumbup2:

#6 Murad_Alm

Murad_Alm

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

I would think it'd be the power supply, seems like it has enough to power things when not under load but once you ramp it up, it can't supply enough to keep the computer running so it shuts down.

then try another PSU "a stronger one" and see if the problem remains. when

YES: try the other steps i wrote before because it's not a PSU problem.

NO: then replace your current PSU.

Edited by Murad_Alm, 10 January 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

The psu is a 700w with a 83% efficiency rating. The video card recommend 500 what would you guys recommend.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

1. I can play games like everquest ok however if I try to play steam games like GTA V it will shut down. There is no restart it's just like you pulled the cord out of the wall.

2. When it does shut down and I tried to bring it back on it popped two power supplies. 

1. When you try to restart the computer in these instances it will not respond to a restart?  Does it restart after a short wait?

2. What are you referring to by "popped two power supplies"?  Are you blowing up PSUs (Power Supply Units), or are you referring to distribution panel breakers.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and install CPUID'S HDMonitor.  Make a screen shot of the voltages and temperatures and post this in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

When you try to restart the computer in these instances it will not respond to a restart? Does it restart after a short wait?

On this I have to unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and wait 30 mins before plugging back in.

2. What are you referring to by "popped two power supplies"? Are you blowing up PSUs (Power Supply Units), or are you referring to distribution panel breakers.

The popping I am talking about is the fuse inside the power supply is split in half.

As for the speccy I will do that as soon as I get home.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Try this.

Unplug the computer from the wall receptacle.  Open the case, touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

Remove the 24-pin PSU connector from the motherboard and place a jumper between the green wire in the bundle and any black wire.

Make sure the jumper is not in a position to touch anything.

Plug the computer back in.  The case fan should spin up and keep spinning.  Leave it like this and see if the fuse in the PSU blows.

If the fuse in the PSU blows I suspect that you have a bad PSU.

I need make you aware of the danger of poking around inside a PSU.  There are electrolytic capacitors that can hold a charge for months.  They will have a high enough stored energy that you could receive a potentially life threatening shock.  If you are not experienced with working in the conditions I would suggest leaving the PSU alone. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Attached File  health1.jpg   181.19KB   0 downloads

Attached File  health2.jpg   64.39KB   0 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rd8ebRqgoc7rHCGeB8oSinG

And as for the power supply unit it is a Viotek 700W.

Let me know if there is any other information you may need.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

You failed the full load test, at best your cpu was at 50% use if not less, you need to test it at 100% use all cores, and you should run the test at lest 15 min if not 30 before talking a screen shot.

Remember to use custom test in prime95 min 8 threads.

#13 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Well I will have to wait till Friday to do this. The power supply just popped going to go out and get me a 1k watt psu. I will rerun the test then. I am just baffled as to why this keeps happening. This happened when plugged directly into a surge protector not the UPS. I even have a different video card incoming to try that also.

#14 Mibjeebs

Mibjeebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

The power cord got hot too like it was about to melt the rubber coating. This was after the power supply popped.

Edited by Mibjeebs, 10 January 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Ouch! something is very wrong in your computer, that has to be a short someware in the box or the psu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users