Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Web Pages On Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charlesduran

charlesduran

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

I am using windows xp and IE as a browser. Whenever I download a web page the previous on vanishes instead of remaining on the task bar. I have gone to the drop down window for internet options for a solutions but could not solve the problem. Anyone have a suggestion. charlesduran

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hi charlesduran , go to tools > internet options > advanced > under the "browsing" heading place a tick in the box "reuse windows for launching shortcuts > apply. Restart Internet Explorer and that should be you.

#3 charlesduran

charlesduran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thank you FifeFlyer for your response. Unfortunately I found that the box had been ticked for 'reuse windows for launching shortcuts' with the added statement, 'on'. I unticked the box to off, tried that and reticked the box to on, each time closing the browser. And on one occasion rebooted, to boot. Forgive the pun. Do you have any other suggestions? Charles

#4 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

charlesduran , forgive my ignorance as i don't use , and haven't for a very long time , Internet Explorer. It means I've had to fiddle about with IE to replicate your problem. The only way i know of to have to have more than one page available is to , first......open up Internet Explorer ( your home page now shows in the task bar ) , type an address in your search bar and go. When you are presented with a page of sites right click on the one you want and choose"open in a new window". This site will now show in your task bar. To keep this open and open a further one , click on the first one you used in the task bar and use the search again. Right click again and choose "open in a new window". You will now have two sites open and you can alternate using the task bar.

Hope i'm making sense here........it's one of the reasons i use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. With tabbed browsing you don't have this problem and you also get the benefits of a faster and more secure surfing experience along with hundreds of choices of extensions , themes and add ons. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:59 AM

First off, please be aware that I know hardly anything about computers.

I posed a similar question on this site last month. This is a link to that thread. Hopefully I am on track and this will be of use to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59704/how-to-keep-a-web-site-in-my-tray/

Take Care,
Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 31 August 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

As posted in your other thread, if you want to keep a present window open, you need to open a new window. There are several ways of doing this that are mentioned in the other thread.

It is not possible to have the content from one webpage showing when you have another webpage open. If you want to look at two pages at once, use the button between the X and the _ to resize both windows. You may have to manually reshape the window by moving the mouse to the side or bottom or top of the window, pressing down on the left button and moving the side, top, or bottom while holding down the mouse button.

Note: If you have several windows open, they will pile up on each other in the task bar. There will be a number, followed by the program identification, followed by a little arrow. Click on the little arrow, and you will see the titles to all the webpages you have open. Occasionally, a program or webpage will disappear from the taskbar. That doesn't necessarily mean it's closed. Open Taskmanager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Click on the applications tab and you will see the names of all the webpages and programs you have open. Right click on the name of the website or program you don't see and click on "bring to front" in the menu that comes up. The website or program will now reappear in the task bar, and it will be on top of any other windows you have open.

By the way, you won't mess up your computer by installing Firefox. I have both IE and Firefox. I usually use Firefox at home excepting when I'm updating my computer. You would only mess up your computer if you uninstalled Internet Explorer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users