Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some answers :s

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IvanMilan

IvanMilan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding my upcoming new PC. To begin with, these are the specs (might still change):

Processor: Intel i7 6700k or Intel i7 6700.

CPU Fan: Hyper 212x

Motherboard: Maximus VII Ranger/other ROG ASUS 1151 socket motherboard

GPU: GTX 980 4GB/Strix 1080

RAM: 2x8GB Avexir

PSU: V850 Cooler Master

My first question is basically this: Will the Cooler Master Hyper 212x enough to cool the i7 6700(k)? I wouldn't mind not overclocking. I'm sure it's more than capable even if it's not overclocked. So will the 212x be enough? 

Secondly, I'm so scared of ruining these components by static charge. I'm thinking of buying an anti-static wrist strap just to be sure, then again, do I really need one?

Moreover, if I did have one, what is the right way of using it? Do I plainly have to connect the alligator-clamp to a bare metal? (PSU screw, PSU body, non-painted part of the case, etc.) Most importantly, the PSU should be plugged in but turned off right? 

Thank you for reading, I am just so paranoid to ruin these expensive components.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IvanMilan

IvanMilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

Oh and once the anti-static wrist strap is connected to a bare metal in the case/PSU, does the motherboard have to be inside of the case already, or can I still work with the motherboard outside of the case?

#3 hoju89

hoju89

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

I can't see why the Hyper 212x wouldn't be able to do the job, seems like a good CPU fan from the bit I've read about it. If you don't overclock, it would be more than enough.

The fan is obviously important but I've come to believe that the thermal paste you install is also a huge factor in cooling as well so it definitely shouldn't be overlooked either.

I have never had a problem with ESD but it can happen so I would suggest if you're worried about it to purchase a band and use it.

But I personally have never used one, I just make sure I'm working on a wood table and make sure to touch the PSU before anything else. You are correct as far as I know to have it plugged into the wall but the PSU turned off and the band is connected to an un-painted metal surface but someone who uses one may correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope I helped a bit at least! :)

I know you can also purchase Anti-Static mats as well which will help with static on components you work on outside the case if it's a concern as well!

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

Here's some stats on the fan, seems like it'll do the job ok as long as you don't push it too hard.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_hyper_212x_review/5

I build and fix pc's all the time and don't use anti-static gizmos. I new a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who once apparently had a problem with static discharge. Before I pick up expensive mobos or graphics cards I ground myself by touching my working pc, just in case. I don't think it's really necessary though... unless you are dragging your feet with rubber soled shoes on carpet just before working on your machine.

#5 IvanMilan

IvanMilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

I can't see why the Hyper 212x wouldn't be able to do the job, seems like a good CPU fan from the bit I've read about it. If you don't overclock, it would be more than enough.

The fan is obviously important but I've come to believe that the thermal paste you install is also a huge factor in cooling as well so it definitely shouldn't be overlooked either.

I have never had a problem with ESD but it can happen so I would suggest if you're worried about it to purchase a band and use it.

But I personally have never used one, I just make sure I'm working on a wood table and make sure to touch the PSU before anything else. You are correct as far as I know to have it plugged into the wall but the PSU turned off and the band is connected to an un-painted metal surface but someone who uses one may correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope I helped a bit at least! :)

But does the ESD only work when the motherboard is already inside the case or not really?

#6 IvanMilan

IvanMilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:37 AM

Here's some stats on the fan, seems like it'll do the job ok as long as you don't push it too hard.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_hyper_212x_review/5

I build and fix pc's all the time and don't use anti-static gizmos. I new a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who once apparently had a problem with static discharge. Before I pick up expensive mobos or graphics cards I ground myself by touching my working pc, just in case. I don't think it's really necessary though... unless you are dragging your feet with rubber soled shoes on carpet just before working on your machine.

Would be fine to build on floor tiles, or wooden tables, or glass tops?

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Would be fine to build on floor tiles, or wooden tables, or glass tops?

Pretty much anywhere that's clean, just touch something metal before you pick up the mobo and GPU to dissipate any static.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#8 IvanMilan

IvanMilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Sorry, umm, one more question. Does the touching something metal method work temporarily? Some people are saying that I should touch bare metal every once in a while. If so, how often?

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding my upcoming new PC. To begin with, these are the specs (might still change):
Processor: Intel i7 6700k or Intel i7 6700.
CPU Fan: Hyper 212x
Motherboard: Maximus VII Ranger/other ROG ASUS 1151 socket motherboard
GPU: GTX 980 4GB/Strix 1080
RAM: 2x8GB Avexir
PSU: V850 Cooler Master

Better to wait for AMD Ryzen, much better build quality that's found on Intel's toothpaste crap.

#10 IvanMilan

IvanMilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

As much as I'd want to try Ryzen, I can't. I only won this build from a giveaway. xd

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Sorry, umm, one more question. Does the touching something metal method work temporarily? Some people are saying that I should touch bare metal every once in a while. If so, how often?

Yes it's only temporary, you won't be statically discharged for life. Static is created by the friction of your shoes rubbing on the ground. So when you walk around again there is a possibility that you could create more static. I'm talking a really really small possibility here. More people get run over by buses than fry their electronics with static, literally. Don't worry about it too much.

I normally just do it once before I touch expensive components, I don't even bother with cheap stuff.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users