Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 install - "EFI System Partition" errors until I unplugged USB DRIVE?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dgrrr

dgrrr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I was trying to reinstall Windows 10 on a lenovo desktop PC, by using Win10 Install Media usb key. I wanted to install to DISK 0.  After deleting the existing main partition and then selecting the newly unallocated space on DISK 0, I'd hit next, and then see:

"windows setup - windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS.  Format the EFI system partition as FAT32 and restart the installation"

I tried deleting the EFI partition on DISK 0, deleting the other partitions (system reserved, recovery)... They kept duplicating and reappearing (which indicates a different problem I'm sure)... Until finally I noticed that in addition to the DISK 0, there was my external USB drive, showing up as DISK 1, which had it's own EFI partition and a large data partition.

As soon as I unplugged the external USB drive, the EFI warning went away.

So apparently the presence of the other disk's EFI partition was confusing the installer?

Is this normal? Seems so dumb...  Seems like if this is an issue (having a USB Drive plugged in while installing windows), there should be a warning saying, "make sure you remove external drives..." etc.

Edited by dgrrr, 09 January 2017 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

While it would be nice to have a warning about removing external drives it is obviously something Microsoft thought that we could do without, or it is in the Readme.txt file.  I normally disconnect all drives other than the drive I will be working on so that I don't accidentally wipe out the data on a different drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users