Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some .exe files won't run after Vista reinstalation...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pawlak

Pawlak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi!

Recently I have formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows Vista (home premium 32bit). I have noticed I cannot open some .exe files, like java installer or opera installer. At first I thought it was a problem with java only, but I couldn't solve this problem using tips at java's help section. Then I noticed the same problem with other .exe file (opera installer).

These .exe files won't even start. No information about errors is showing. It just won't run. When i double click these no new process shows in windows task manager.

At the same time some other .exe files work just fine, I was able to install Firefox and Avast.

I formatted disc and reinstalleg Vista again, but the same problem appeared.

Vista is fully updated and drivers for mainboard are installed.

I decided to solve this problem before installing other software.

I tried this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2688326

It doesn't work for me. Also, in my case there are no information about errors or viruses.

Any help is appriciated, this poblem is so confusing...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Try right clicking the exe, on the Advanced tab Unlock the file. Can you run the file after this change?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Pawlak

Pawlak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:32 AM

I can run these files now, than you for you help :)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

I can run these files now, than you for you help :)

Good. Try to reset Internet Explorer to see if it fix that https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/923737/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-settings normally you should get a Security Prompt before running the file without unblocking first.

Edited by SleepyDude, 10 January 2017 - 05:05 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users