Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting after BIOS update.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 eduardomobe

eduardomobe

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

So I updated my BIOS. I have an HP 150t and the motherboard died so I bought another one online and it was working fine but I decided to update the BIOS going into HPs website which mightve been a mistake. Now onto the problem: When I update everything was fine except it took about 20 seconds for the monitor to light up and after it did it took a really long time from the POST screen to boot into Windows. But after it did it worked like a charm. Now it still does the same except that it wont boot into Windows anymore and Startup repair has not been able to fix it. Thanks a lot for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

How did you do the update ?

From bios / from dos / from windows / other ?

#3 eduardomobe

eduardomobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

From windows.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

If you tap Esc at boot do you get a menu where you can select F10 to enter your UEFI/BIOS settings?

#5 eduardomobe

eduardomobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

I can tap F10 directly and access BIOS.

Edited by eduardomobe, 09 January 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Reset your BIOS to defaults and see if you can boot to Windows.

#7 eduardomobe

eduardomobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

No. Still no booting. Could this be a hard drive problem?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Possible. Download UBCD and burn the iso file to a CD. Boot the disk and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. On the Desktop of Parted Magic click Disk Health and do the short/long tests. On the HP tap esc at boot and then the function key for Boot Menu. I think you can get to it direct by tapping F9. Select Legacy Boot if you have UEFI. It could also be called CSM boot.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Sadly if he bricked the mobo the only way to fix that now is from a pc repair shop with a EEProm reprogramer, btw never flash a bios from windows.

If you can still get in to the bios reflash bios from the bios it self or from dos.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi:

btw never flash a bios from windows.

Perhaps that may have been the case for Win95, Win98, WinME and WinXP.

But such a broad statement really does not apply to later versions of Windows.

It's not like it used to be in the old days, especially on OEM boxes.

It's really quite easy and largely trouble-free.

I have flashed the BIOS "from Windows" on many Vista and 7 boxes with no trouble over the years.  (Heck, I even managed it on a couple of XP boxes, too.)

And I am just a dumb home user.

Having said that, I am not a hardware expert and do not profess to propose a workable solution for the OP.

@eduardomobe, I hope you get your problem fixed.

Warm regards,

MM

#11 eduardomobe

eduardomobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

To be honest I think the problem could be unrelated. I just decided to provide al information possible. The delayed boot IS a problem that started after the BIOS update, however windows worked fine after for 1-2 weeks.

Edited by eduardomobe, 09 January 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

Cool cool, as for windows "multi task environment" vs "single task environment" ill take single task on the bios update topic every time, all it takes in windows is for one thing to flip " like your anti-virus" as your updating the bios and you just bricked your mobo, dos never douse that seeing as only one task can run at a time, and doing it from the bios if your allowed to is even safer.

Im glade to hear you have done it from windows many times with out problems moxie but that still doesn't make me want to go their and its hard to teach a old dog new tricks, and i am getting old.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

If you changed the motherboard...and then tried to boot the existing install from the same hard drive...then the settings and drivers are completely different and it would not be surprising that you have problems, especially so since you have an OEM system.

Additionally...if you did not install the exact same motherboard originally with the system...the OEM license would not apply to such.  Microsoft (long ago) dictated a change of motherboard as a change of system.

If current motherboad matches exactly original MB...none of what I have stated would apply.

Louis

#14 eduardomobe

eduardomobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:10 AM

Ok Louis, so what do you recommend, new Windows install. About the delayed POST, any ideas?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. In the first post you said the MB died and you bought a new one that worked fine before the the BIOS update and the BIOS update was for HP.

When you said the new MB was fine before the BIOS update did it post normally and boot to Windows in a normal amount of time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users