Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad sector in HDD, can I image?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Apparently my HDD has a bad sector. Which is the probable cause of its BSODs.

If I buy a new HDD, and use system image to copy over the data will the new HDD be fine? Will it still BSOD? I did hear the bad sectors will copy over, but will this cause any major problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Feu bad sectors isn't a big deal but the data that was on the sectors in question is lost forever.

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

shadow_647, on 09 Jan 2017 - 6:05 PM, said:

Feu bad sectors isn't a big deal but the data that was on the sectors in question is lost forever.

I see thank you. Also, I gave up on the Windows 10 PC. It makes me feel too much like a loser to waste days just to play a game.

And also, you're saying that the new HDD will be fine right?

Edited by araragi, 09 January 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

There is not data loss necessarily.

Try running the chkdsk /r command.  This command is the only tool that attempts to recover files if they happen to lie on bad sectors...and bad sectors is not necessarily the end of the hard drive.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

To evaluate the status of the hard drive, more info would help.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Should be, iv used hdd with had sectors all over the place and not cared over the years though sometimes the odd program gets zaped with a bad sector, system should be able to run fine with some as well as long as the bad sectors are tagged so the Os doesn't try and read or use them, i know in ms-dos this was possible to do on a fat32 drive, don't 100% know how that topic works on ntfs drives, as well i only learned the other day something new about win10 and that is that its not possible to disable vsink in win10 with out going full screen, its a real pain in the ass topic.

That why in the past last we chated on this forum and you did 3dmark benchmarks your score was so low "best guess", as well iv bin seeing other with fps problems in win10 of late in this forum mostly from trying to play older games, don't know whats going on with this topic but your not the only one and as yet no one seems to know whats going on and no one seems to have a fix for it.

Plz don't feel like a loser for any reason, in the end we all only know more then some but less then others, its all relative and every story has to start somewhere.

And i wouldn't change a hdd just cus you have one bad sector but when you start seeing this topic too much that might mean the hdd is on its way out and its time to back things up.

As well my old recommendation still stands, change to win7 64bit, probably fix all your problems.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UhY0vHIL8n10BKYkrOacfDx

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   6.43KB   6 downloads

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Did you run the chkdsk /r command, as suggested?

Louis

#8 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Not recently, but yes in the past.

It's been a really long while since I used this PC and I believe I used the chkdsk /r just before I stopped using it or around that time.

oh. I'm terribly sorry. Give me a moment to give another MTB. I didn't give what you requested.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   18.16KB   2 downloads

Edited by araragi, 09 January 2017 - 09:53 PM.

#9 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

I've noticed my CPU temperature seems really high. What seems wrong?

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Beat me on the gpu heat topic, i don't know of any good places to find info internet site for max heat levels for gpus and iv looked on the net lots for one. only thing i know on the topic is a ball park number keep it under 90c

Edit: Opposes you said cpu and i read gpu, forget what i said, brain fart post.

Edited by shadow_647, 10 January 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Please...run the chkdsk /r command, as requested.

Then post new MTB data requested...and a new link for the Speccy Snapshot.

Louis

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Why is that speccy from a laptop O_o

And that laptop is win7, what system we talking about that's having problems your desktop or the laptop your using atm "confused"

I've noticed my CPU temperature seems really high. What seems wrong?

Limit for your cpu on that laptop is 105c

https://ark.intel.com/products/40739/Intel-Pentium-Processor-T4400-1M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB-Socket-P

Edited by shadow_647, 10 January 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#13 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm talking about another system, my laptop.

Not the desktop from my previous forum

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Anyways did some checking on the ntfs topic seems all you have to do is a chkdsk /r C:

that will tag the bad sectors on the hdd and if you have the odd one and the rest of the drive is good, i wouldn't think much of it, just remember to keep backups You never know when you might need em.

Redo the chkdsk check every so often to see if more bad scores show up or its just the odd one that was a fluke.

I know my self iv had hdd with like a 40 packs of bad sectors in the past that i used for years, and new bad sectors never showed up on the drive so don't know what happened their, maybe the  drive got dropped on the floor at some point.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx

TO open command line just go to start/run type in "cmd.exe"

Edited by shadow_647, 10 January 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

You can also scan your disk with HDDScan to check for sectors that are slowing down in response time. It's a fairly decent indication of the likelihood of failure.

I can provide a short tutorial if you have any issues using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users