Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ffmpeg.exe has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steelcaress

steelcaress

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

I recently took over my wife's Vista 32-bit machine after a laptop failure and I have the weirdest error: "ffmpeg.exe has stopped working." It seems when I set about to do some serious work, like making a new tab in Firefox or opening a program, that one pops up. It takes several clicks to make it go away, then all of a sudden it's back. Just now, when hitting the Post New Topic button, it popped up again.

It puts several versions of itself in the Task Manager, too (though not after I've clicked out of the errors). There seems to be two different folders on the hard drive where this file exists.   

My question comes in threes:

1) what the heck is this file used for?

2) do I need it for the computer to keep functioning?

3) if I delete it, will the computer throw me an error at startup and refuse to boot?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

1) FFmpeg is a (GNU license) framework for converting video and audio, ( Or editing, streaming etc. ) to different formats. If you didnt download it yourself and run it from a command line then it is part of some software you have installed for handling video. Got anything like that installed and running?

2) no

3) no

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users