Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rsa 2048

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 RATASS88

RATASS88

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hello, my files were encrypted with RSA 2048 in Dec 2015.  I kept this hard drive in the hope of one day unlocking the encryption.   I had McAfee at the time and the desktop showed an icon stating "Trojan Detected, McAfee detected an infected file on your PC.  Restart your PC so we can fix it.   Detected: Generic ATG-FBMI!7EBF824198DE (Trojan)   Quarantined From: c\users\ff\AppData\Local\Temp\babwjitk.tmp"   I tried restarting 3 times before I called McAfee.  They refused to help me even though I went up 3 levels of supervisors.  They kept saying it was my fault for letting in the virus and it wasn't their problem.   Anyway, since I was totally ignorant of what malware was, at that time and nothing had changed, I let it go.  Obviously a big mistake since all of my files became encrypted within 10 days.   Does anyone know of a solution to this encryption since it was from Dec 2015 and maybe someone has the key?  Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

The first step is to identify what ransomware it is. "RSA-2048" is an encryption algorithm, not a ransomware. It's like if I asked what kinda car you drive, and you say "automatic".

You can upload an encrypted file and ransom note to ID Ransomware (link in my signature) to find out what ransomware it is and whether it is known to be decryptable.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Does the temp file "generic ATG-FBMI!......."   have any meaning?  thank you.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Nope, that is just a generic detection like it states. It was probably detected just by its malicious behavior, not any specifically helpful rules. Antivirus detection names are not always very helpful at all. McAfee especially is bad about that (and I honestly don't really recommend them for antivirus - that's a whole different topic).

If you still have the malware files, you can upload them here and we can take a look maybe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=168

Do your files have any extensions added to them or anything? ID Ransomware will be able to guide you to the proper information, otherwise we need more information from you.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

I did keep the prior computer.   I can hook up this computer and email a file.   Would I upload one specific infected file via email and then forward to you?  Or go into your web site and send up the file?  Thank you

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

You can just upload an encrypted file and a ransom note to ID Ransomware and it will guide you from there. You can upload it from the other computer, or if you have pulled the files, you can upload it from whatever computer you have access to. The encrypted files themselves are not infectious, so you don't have to worry about them infecting any other computers by just copying them.

#7 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Thank you for the info.  Will try and reconnect my old computer tomorrow.

#8 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

@RATASS88

Did you submit the file "airportcompliance.docx.vvv"? If so, the good news is it is TeslaCrypt, and can be decrypted. The key has to be factored, but it will just take a bit of time.

I'll have your key in a few hours, will send it via PM. In the meantime, please read the instructions for how to use TeslaDecoder in the support topic.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601379/teslacrypt-vvv-ccc-exx-ezz-ecc-etc-decryption-support-requests/

#9 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Found it.  Sorry for my lack of computer skills.   Yes, I did sumbit the above referenced file.   I'll read the support topic you have kindly sent to me.  Thank you again.

#10 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

I read the support topic.    Am I supposed to download the "decoder"?  Thank you

#11 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

See my reply to you in that topic. Read the instructions in the first post to download and use TeslaDecoder.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601379/teslacrypt-vvv-ccc-exx-ezz-ecc-etc-decryption-support-requests/page-337#entry4178540

Edited by Demonslay335, 11 February 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users