Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asking advice how to scan drives from a PC I think was tampered with...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steven_stumped

Steven_stumped

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have two hard drive from a computer I believed to have been tampered with.  What scans with what products do I run on them to find out if malware has been installed? Would you please advise me?  

LONG STORY:  The story here is creepy. An 81 year old man either took or made a phone call and let someone on his computer who said that he was from Microsoft and that he contacted the 81 year old because his PC has terrible problems. The man asked for a credit card, ran a scan, and now the computer look and feel is different. So the 81 year old called me (his son in law) to put it back the way it was.

I don't consider this to be a normal computer problem but rather malicious behavior.  Once I learned of the apparent malicious call, I asked him to turn off the PC and leave it off. I've removed the two hard drives and can put them in a USB housing to scan from my own Windows 7 PC.  

I have no symptoms, just a very bad feeling about this sequence of events. I am a computer support professional, but I don't have a paid-for antivirus on my own PC let alone trust it to be comprehensive. Would you please give me advice on what scans to run on the drive and with what products. I haven't looked at it yet and ask you to please advise me on what to do.

I had a great experience with your website in 2012 finding a virus (or whatever it was) on my PC and fixing it. Do you still offer help and steps to take and then logs to post? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Did he provide the credit card info. If so, start with stopping the payment

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Steven_stumped

Steven_stumped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yes. that is good advice which we proactively already did.    Thank you.   I'm wondering what software to download and run against the drive. Would someone please advise? 

#4 Steven_stumped

Steven_stumped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Is the question too stupid to reply to? I will hook them up to a PC running antivirus software. What else would you suggest scanning them with? 

#5 Steven_stumped

Steven_stumped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

I found no viruses on the hard drives after running McAfee antirvirus ran against them. I had to open permissons up to the users folder after mounding the hard drives in a USB device and attaching it to my computer. It found nothing.  

I learned from my father in law that he signed a document and faxed it back to this "technical support" organization paying them 5 years of support for $500.  Their website was up just 204 days ago and they have minimal but findable presense on the internet. Someone cleverly seems to have bought an 888 number, a website, and put something out there with a scary message for people to call him to remove the virus from his PC.  And $500 later he remotes in to the computer, runs anti-malwarebytes and cccleaner (as I recall) and walks away with $500 without apparently actually harming the computer.  

Normally this fellow is tighter-than-bark, so I was surprised to see him part with $500.  The website suggests a 30 day money back refund, but interestingly the 888 number to call is not answered at night.  We'll see if he can get their "refund" without incurring more charges. The credit card company marked it disputable but with the signed invoice about what they had done, I'm not sure that he can get his money back.  Seems like a scam to me. Hard to imagine they will be available to offer continued support.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

Good that you are able to to get the $500 back.

I would suggest looking at the list of installed programs, Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks using CCleaner. The instructions

also ask those lists to posted back here. If you feel confident in examing the lists and taking actions if any are needed then do that.

Items in the Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks can be Disabled or Deleted by clicking on each item and choosing either action on the right.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

• download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
  • Double-click mb3-setup-1878.1878-3.5.1.2522.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • Then click Finish.
  • Once the program has fully updated, select Scan Now on the Dashboard. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
  • If another update of the definitions is available, it will be implemented before the rest of the scanning procedure.
  • When the scan is complete, make sure that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
  • Restart your computer when prompted to do so.
  • The Scan log is available throughout History ->Application logs. Please post it contents in your next reply.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

That was a criminal working for a criminal enterprise that he gave the CC number to. I strongly suggest cancelling that card/ replacing it.

You will likely find an email sent from his computer that confirmed the purchase he made...sent by the criminal to himself.

Be sure to tell him that no one legit will call him about his computer. Pop-up ads are commonly used by these criminals, too. Tell him

about that. This type of scam is becoming more prevalent. Some originating from the USA. Many originating from India.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users