Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer crashes whenever anything typed in Start>"search box"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rybad

rybad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

Windows 7 Pro x64 machines (12 of 30 tested so far) in single domain;  Click START > type anything in the "search programs & files" box, Explorer crashes and restarts.  If I type something quick enough (such as CMD) it will run CMD, but Explorer still crashes and restarts itself.

I suspect some kind of indexing problem.  We have folder redirection running through GPO. Offline files are off.  PC's are RMM with SolarWinds/MaxFocus and run BitDefender AV.  Turned off AV and same result.

Anyone have any suggestions what to look at?  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

I bet it's caused by a Shell Extension. Try this please:

:step1: ShellExView by NirSoft (thanks to usasma!!!)

• Download and save ShellExView from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on shexview.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Look at the menu above, click Options and check (click) Hide All Microsoft Extensions.
• Please disable all NON-Microsoft extensions. :exclame: DO NOT DISABLE ANY MICROSOFT EXTENSIONS!!!
• Restart your computer and check the results. If the issue is gone, start enabling a few until you can find the culprit.

If that doesn't work let us have a look at the WER file:

:step2: AppCrashView by NirSoft

• Download and save AppCrashView from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on AppCrashView.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Highlight (click) on one of the recent Windows Explorer errors.
• On the bottom, there is a large window with a list of the loaded modules. Please copy ALL the information and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 rybad

rybad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for your input.  As I suspected, it was an index problem.  I was able to use in safe-mode, so I disabled Windows Search in standard mode and was also able to use search.  After reviewing the AppCrash, I found that SNTSearch.dll was crashing.  SFC did not repair, I also tried to unregister and reregister but that crashed as well.. even opening a sticky note crashed.  I ended up changing permissions on SNTSearch.dll, renaming it and copying it from a working Windows 7 PC which resolved the problem.  

The odd think is that I have so many PC's having this problem, and I seem to be the only one in the world having it, so I can assume it's not a bad MS update, but I have no idea what corrupted the file.  Perhaps a line-of-business app update.. IDK but at least its fixed.

Thanks again for your input.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

What sort of 3rd party applications/programs do you use?
Do you use any custom applications that aren't generally available to the public - such as POS stuff, or business related programs?

My wife is a veterinarian, so she uses a specialized veterinary program - and it has issues at times due to it's interaction with Windows

For example, I crashed ALL of her systems by updating to W8.1 from W8 - turns out that the developer had never tested the update.

Together we found several things to disable (in the veterinary program) that made the system work with W8.1

Because of this I never took advantage of the W10 update for her office.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users