Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't ping gateway when I set the IP to static

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pathfindersys

pathfindersys

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed now. I'm setting up a new server with Windows 2012 R2. New install on a used server. If I leave the IP addressing as dynamic it can get to the gateway without issue. I can leave the DNS automatic or define it I've tested it and set it both 127.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8 with an automatic IP and I have no issues.

If I set it to a static address I can no longer ping the gateway. I even set the static address to the same address it was getting from DHCP and it still times out trying to ping the gateway. However, I can ping any other active address! The gateway can ping the server in either configuration. What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

When you set the Static address are you entering all the information? IP address, Subnetmask, gateway, and DNS?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 pathfindersys

pathfindersys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yes. Its currently a very simple set up. What I find odd is that I can't ping the firewall if its static 192.168.x.254 but I can ping any other device on the network.

If its dynamic there are no issues other than it pulls from a range I'd rather it not have.

IP add - 192.168.x.251 (I've tried several others including the 192.168.x.32 it pulls dynamic)

Subnet - 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 192.168.x.254

DNS is currently set to home. It does not matter if set it to a public like 8.8.8.8, to the gateway or our ISP's DNS. The result is the same.

I even ran a cable directly to the firewall I could ping every device on the network except the firewall itself.

The firewall can see an ping the server.

There are no settings on the firewall that would bock it (I even pulled the running config to read it to verify)

I can and am currently connected via RDP by its IP address from my computer.

Edited by pathfindersys, 10 January 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

When you set the IP address static are you able to get to the internet? What does a tracert show for 192.168.x.254 when the IP is static? What is the DHCP scope for your network, your not assigning a duplicate IP address are you? Are you able to ping 8.8.4.4 from the server when the IP address is static?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 pathfindersys

pathfindersys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sorry for delay in responding. I'be been working on other tasks. 

No internet is available when its set to static.

There is no overlap in the scope. The current DHCP server only hands out between 192.168.x.2-192.168.x.100. I have also verified that the IP address is not a duplicate.

Tracert just times out when attempting to to trace to the 254 address. Physically the server has a single cable running to a switch. That switch runs to the firewall/gateway. 

My computer is physically connected to the same switch. I can ping the 254 address without issue. I connect to the server via RDP. 

I just don't understand what would keep

So...In the middle of that sentence I had the though that maybe the mac address table wasn't updating on the fire wall. 

I just went in and manually entered the mac into the table. Sure enough problem solved. 

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

For starters dont use any publicly free dns mate (Unless you want google to know everything you do!), and never use loopback for the primary dns server, either use the static IP (192.168.1.101) you have set or another local dns server.

Secondly its important we know what the 3rd octet is for the IP subnet, you keep adding an X to it and this is critical.

Another thing, never use tracert, pathping -n IP is always faster but remember, firewalls/routers can and will block trace back calls hence the * you will see when doing it.

EDIT: So you could have flushed the ARP cache and it would have been solved, what firewall are you using because it should automatically clear the cache when it sees a new IP, you dont want to have to manually update it every time a machine is plugged in LOL.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 31 January 2017 - 06:06 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users