Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Internet speed?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticPrince

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Not sure where to ask this, so please feel free to move if necessary.

I have an ASUS G75V computer with 12 gig of RAM running win 10, and my browser of choice is Firefox. I am with Spectrum (TWC) for my ISP. For several months now my internet pulls seem to be very slow. For example if I try to scroll on facebook, quite often the page freezes for a few seconds before it will scroll down. If I click on a link in Facebook, quite often the next page is very slow to load, especially if it is ad heavy. I get a lot of error messages about long running scripts. I just tried to do a speedtest on speedtest.net and it took 84 seconds to load the front page. I have reinstalled Java a couple of times to see if that would help, but no improvement noticied. I hate it when I go to a friends house and watch as he opens and closes windows and links in seconds while i take minutes to open the same pages.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,543 posts
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Seriously, my first step would be to call the ISP and have them test your line.  The nature of what you're describing, how it developed, and how it behaves suggests something "upstream" of the computer.

Be sure to have power cycled everything, including your computer, and also cleared browser cache before calling the ISP.  They'll definitely ask you to do the first two items again, and you can tell them you already have, but will not likely mention the last one.  Cache corruption can cause all manner of issues.

Also, since you're using Windows 10, do not use "Shut Down" to power cycle your computer unless you've turned Fast Start off (it's on by default).  If you want to force a full reloading of Windows 10 with Fast Start on then use Restart instead of Shut Down.  I've seen all sorts of issues occur because the hiberfile.sys file that's used to support fast boot has become corrupted as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Before calling your ISP power cycle of of your network equipment, modem, router, switches.  That is normally one of the first things in their support script.

Do all of your devices act this way, or just the computer?  Have you tried a different web browser?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users