Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Start Menu "In Hiding" for Short, but Irritating, Periods of Time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

I have been noticing this more lately.  For some reason, the start button at the lower left corner and the WinKey both, when struck, will not cause the Start Menu to appear.

This is always temporary, and if I wait long enough, several minutes at most, they always begin working again and continue to behave normally for long periods of time until the behavior recurs.

Is anyone aware of the reason for this behavior, or if there's a fix.  There's so much information out there on Start Menu "won't open" problems but nothing I've found that really matches this description, as most seem to describe a "permanent" problem until fixed and mine is not permanent and is, in fact, always transient.  It is not occurring during system startup, nor when the TrayStatus 3.1 utility I use is showing any high disc activity or the system is loaded with processing that's CPU intensive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi:

AFAIK this issue has been around pretty much since the early days of Win10, with the restored "Start Menu".

(A quick Google search turned up quite a few hits, although most seem to date to the original version of Win10, less so with 1511 and 1607.)

Here are just a few:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/yout-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-fix-windows-10-start-menu-3623893/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3045633/software/3-fixes-for-a-dead-windows-10-start-menu.html

Most seem to suggest starting with the usual troubleshooting:

SFC - System File Checker

DISM

Those seem like a reasonable place to start.

After that, it's more drastic, such as a new user profile, Windows repair install, <ugh!> reinstall Win10, etc.

HTH, for starters,

MM

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried not running TrayStatus 3.1 utility ?

Does right-clicking on the start menu when this happens work? (if no, it could be a context menu handler issue)

Do you use anything like Classic Shell?

A specific Windows Theme?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 9,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Opera,

I have not ever stopped TrayStatus since this behavior has only been occurring with even "some" frequency recently and I have been using TrayStatus "almost forever."  I really don't suspect any connection.

Nothing at all "works" with the start menu when this is going on - left click, WinKey, or right click.   It always resolves without any action on my part after some period of time in the range of minutes.

I do not use Classic Shell.

I revolve themes, all obtained via the built-in mechanism, but since a number of these are "contributed" to the theme bank this could be a possibility.  I will make a note of the theme I'm using now, and do more data collection with regard to frequency and length of the temporary hiding behavior, then see if this changes when the theme is changed in any way.

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users