Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it generally wise to clean install new versions of Win 10 to avoid problems?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hi all!

Both as I upgraded my Win 10 version 1507 computer to version 1511 and version 1607, I decided to perform clean installs from installation media (DVDs) in order to solve device driver incompatibility as well as anti-malware software usage mistakes (incompatibilities), respectively. While still keeping backups of all my personal files, of course, even though it necessarily would imply a lot of extra program reinstallation work.

And other than that, I have read several reports of Win 10 users who unfortunately experienced various problems upgrading normally through Windows Update.

So, with the upcoming Redstone 2 upgrade which is expected to arrive in March, 2017, I am therefore wondering;

Is it generally wise to clean install new versions of Win 10 to avoid problems?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

In my opinion, a clean install is always the best way to go for exactly the reasons that you stated. I always perform a clean install myself of every new iteration of Windows 10 even though I know it will be at least a couple of days to get all of my settings and apps the way that I want them.

Different people will post different opinions on this subject, but I agree that a clean install seems to alleviate any potential problems.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

You're going to get advice saying "yes" and "no" as well as "maybe."   I'm in the "maybe" camp.

I never, ever do clean installs after upgrades as a matter of course.  On my own machine, and those of my clients, virtually all have gone through the upgrade processes without a hitch, and the later upgrades were more likely to be that way than the earlier ones (for what I think are obvious reasons - as software matures it gets better at handling more exceptions).

I always take a wait and see approach.   If you go through an upgrade and everything perks along fine for the first few days to a week it's really unlikely that this is going to change, or at least change secondary to anything related to the upgrade.   Why do extra work?

If you have weirdness going on shortly after an upgrade then, sure, back up your user data, make sure you have the ability to get back any desktop apps (formerly known as installed programs) that will be wiped, and do a Reset without keeping files or a straight install from bootable media - it's six of one, half a dozen of the other as the entire Win10 OS is replaced either way.  (If you want to minimize the amount of work you need to do, you could try a Reset with keep files first, which most often works because the Win10 OS is replaced via that method, too.  I don't know why, but sometimes this form of Reset refuses to work.  When it does, my next step is Reset without keeping anything.  My last step is install from bootable media if any form of Reset refuses to work.)

I see absolutely no point in doing pre-emptive clean installs when my experience has been that they are very seldom necessary.  But very seldom does not mean never, but you can only determine that one is needed by having issues occur.

Edited by britechguy, 09 January 2017 - 10:51 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Hi, Rocky Bennett & britechguy!

Thank you both very much for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

When I first upgraded Win 10 to version 1511, I tried to perform it through Windows Update, but due to an incompatible device driver for my external HDD (BUFFALO DriveStation DDR 3TB USB3.0), I had to perform a clean install.

And prior to secondly upgrading to version 1607, I encountered incompatibility between different stand-alone anti-malware software and my real-time security programs, which caused damage to several of the latter, which again forced me to perform a clean install.

This time around, however, I have not experienced anything similar to the above mentioned or another specific reason for having to perform a clean install, nonetheless I guess I will do that now too, as it necessarily has become a chance to starting anew, even though it also is time-consuming. :busy:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users