Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4+4 gb or 4+8gb RAM?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 danielyong

danielyong

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:19 AM

Hi, I am currently considering to upgrade my laptop ram. Currently my internal ram comes with 4gb 2133mhz sodimm ddr4, with 1 more ram slot for upgrade. Is it better for me to add another 4gb or 8gb RAM? And also can anyone explain how does dual channel works? Thanks!

Laptop specs:i5-6200u, GT930mx Win 10 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

A dual channel memory system has a memory controller with two independent channels. So for a data read that needs, say, 1000 memory accesses, a single channel controller has to perform 1000 reads, whereas with a dual channel controller, each channel only needs to do 500, giving much better performance. That doesn't mean it will be automatically twice as fast for any given system, but it gives a considerable improvement in potential data transfer rate.

It's recommended for dual channel systems to use DIMMs matching in ratings including size. So it could be best to use two 4GB DIMMS.

Some systems can use dual channel mode with differing size SIMMs by running the larger DIMM partly in dual channel mode, and the remainder that doesn't pair with the smaller SIMM in single channel mode. Not all systems can do this, you would need to find out if the specifications of your laptop indicate whether it can.

If it cannot, you would end up with the whole 12GB running in the slower single channel mode, so you'd probably be better off with the two 4GB DIMMs, depending on your RAM requirements in typical usage. If it can do split mode, you could have the 12GB with the first 8GB running in dual channel mode, and the last 4GB being that bit slower, but only being used if the system needs more than 8GB of memory active.

Edited by Platypus, 09 January 2017 - 04:43 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:37 AM

+1 agreed, and for a new computer 8 gigs is fine so i stick with twin 4 gigs.

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

That depends on the RAM slots also.

Some slots do not accept higher RAMs.

For example my system will not recognize any RAM greater than 2 GB in its slot, So I am using 2 x 2 GB Ram even though I wanted a 2 x 8 RAM's. Check that first. Even if it supports it is advised for using same sized RAM in both slots if you are both.

So if your system supports 8 gigs go for two 8 gigs or two 4 gigs. Also choose the correct version and flavor of operating systems. Windows 7 has some limits for lower flavors for all other 8 and 10 there are no limiting factors.

Also consider what Platypus has said above.

#5 danielyong

danielyong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for all your replies

How do I know whether my laptop can run dual channel? And my internal 4gb ram is like built-in into my laptop, it cannot be removed, means i have 1 empty slot currently to add a ram stick. Any idea what type of ram should i get to be able to run dual channel?

laptop model is x456ur asus

#6 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Built in RAM!!

Actually the slots will be side by side and the ram can be removed as per all the models I saw till now.

As per the asus page the ram can be extended upto 12 gigs.

I suggest going for a same type of RAM in this case a 4 gb for best performance purposes if the RAM cannot be removed.

What do you use your laptop for? I am interested why you need so much RAM. Gaming or any Multimedia working??

#7 danielyong

danielyong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

Built in RAM!!

Actually the slots will be side by side and the ram can be removed as per all the models I saw till now.

As per the asus page the ram can be extended upto 12 gigs.

I suggest going for a same type of RAM in this case a 4 gb for best performance purposes if the RAM cannot be removed.

What do you use your laptop for? I am interested why you need so much RAM. Gaming or any Multimedia working??

Yep it's built in, but i think its solder to the board, can't seem to remove it hahaha. I do game quite often but not those high demanding games, but i do use premiere pro occasionally on my laptop. So 4gb it is then?

#8 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

Soldered !! That's like wow. Yup you better play it safe by adding a 4 GB RAM. Just confirm the type of RAM using speccy ( a free download from filehippo . com ) before purchasing one.

My personal advice is don't play games using the laptop's keyboard. Buy one wired / wireless one and have fun with them.

Close the topic if you feel like you got what you were searching.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

Your laptop uses DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/VivoBook-X456UR/specifications/

Crucial's suggested compatible RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/vivobook-x456ur

I'd also think 4GB is your safest bet. The Intel i-series CPUs have the memory controller built into the CPU, so that is automatically dual channel. It's possible that to save cost the mainboard could only have a single physical channel connection, but that would be a cruddy thing to do, so it's probably dual. I don't see any easy-to-find information about that, so when the second DIMM is fitted you'd need to see what a diagnostic utility like speccy, as already mentioned by Hareen, reports.

On Bleeping Computer, resolved topics aren't normally closed, so a later report can be added or if a mistake or inadequacy is spotted in some information it can be updated/corrected.

Edited by Platypus, 10 January 2017 - 07:08 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 danielyong

danielyong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

Alright! Thanks guys for your help! Will get a 4gb stick then. Peace yo

P/s Hareen, is it bad for my keyboard if i game on it? Just wondering :P

#11 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

It is not actually bad , but if anything happens to the laptop's keyboard, it is not worth the cost of replacement :P .

I know how aggressive I will turn if I am gaming hahaha.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users