Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video and audio files not playing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justintree3

justintree3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

Hello,

I have been having issues with my computer for some time now, but recently it has become intolerable.  The most obvious issue is that video and music files will not play.  I have tried windows media player, winamp, and VLC with no success.  Sometimes it tries to play and it is very choppy, other times it tells me the file is corrupt.  Doesn't matter what file or format, with the exception being audio files that I recorded myself on that computer.

It can still stream online content without problem.  I am almost certain that this is the manifestation of a hardware issue, as there have been other problems that have been around for a while, but were generally tolerable.  For instance, every now and then, the computer will not boot unless I disconnect the PSU, hold down the power button to flush out the capacitors, and plug it back in.  It also has difficulty with burning CDs - I am currently trying to burn the UBCD in order to check the memory, hard drive, and CPU, but the buffer takes about 20 minutes to build up, then it burns for a few seconds before stopping to avoid a buffer underrun (something I haven't actually experienced since the 90s...it's bringing back memories of not being able to do anything on the computer while burning, lest you underrun the buffer).

Not sure how much it will help, but I'm attaching a CPU-Z report.  Quick summary of my PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1040T

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M

Ram: 16 GB DDR3 (2 x 8 GB)

Graphics: NVidia GeForce GT 520

I am generally pretty good at solving my own problems, but I honestly have no idea where to start looking for this one.  Thanks for any help.

Attached File  DESKTOP.txt   78.49KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hello and welcome. First of all, what kind of audio and video files are these that are giving you problems? This problem just might be caused by the file type.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 justintree3

justintree3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Any video or audio file, mkv, avi, mp4, mp3, wav, and others that i cant think of at the moment. All are files that have previously worked on this computer.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

So when you right click on an MP3 file and choose open with Media Player, what exactly happens? Also, when you right click on an MP4 file and choose to open with VLC, what exactly happens?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 justintree3

justintree3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Currently it is working fine, but what usually happens would be that the first few seconds play after an unusually long load time, followed by it skipping every few seconds and playing as if it is buffering on a very slow network connection.  Video files would give a popup saying that there was an error reading the file, and it wouldn't play at all in media player.  VLC did the same that the audio did with media player, with it skipping every few seconds to apparently load.

Like I said, it is currently working, but this is a sporadic problem.  My computer just went through one of the non-boot loops.  It started with the secondary HDD disappearing from Explorer, then I tried to reboot.  It would not load Windows, just stayed on the boot screen.  When I hard booted out, it would go into the automated recovery, where I can't get past the language select as neither keyboard and mouse work there.  I booted to the UBCD and ran memtest86+ for several hours, and the memory checks out.  When I booted back out of memtest, everything seems to be working properly, but I know it is only a matter of time before it craps out again.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

This definately sounds like a hardware issue. How old is your PSU?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 justintree3

justintree3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

It's about 3 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users