Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

View external HDD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 batman2015

batman2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hello,

I have a HDD from a surveillance DVR. I wanted to play and copy the videos on that HDD into my laptop, so I opened the DVR and removed the HDD. I bought an HDD reader from Amazon and docked the HDD in order to connect it to my laptop. Once connected it would not show up in my laptop. I went into the cmd in my laptop and assigned a letter to the hard drive. However, I can't open the HDD without formatting the HDD.

If I format the HDD won't the videos in the HDD get erased? How can I open the HDD without reformatting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

Google search the brand of DVR it came from - a drive from a surveillance unit may be encrypted, may use a proprietary format that only that unit can read, or may use a file system that is known but Windows doesn't natively read it.

If you format the drive the contents will become inaccessible, either completely with a full format, or requiring an attempted recovery analysis (which may not be successful) from a quick format.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:02 AM

Google search the brand of DVR it came from - a drive from a surveillance unit may be encrypted, may use a proprietary format that only that unit can read, or may use a file system that is known but Windows doesn't natively read it.

If you format the drive the contents will become inaccessible, either completely with a full format, or requiring an attempted recovery analysis (which may not be successful) from a quick format.

I couldn't find any information on what type of software I would need. I have a Funlux H.264 dvr with a 1.0 TB WD Purple HDD.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

Does any of this apply to your situation?

http://kb.zmodo.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=9&id=72&artlang=en

Do you have the actual model number?

Does the machine not have an option to back up the hard drive as shown in a different model here?

http://eu.cctvfocal.com/cctv-dvr/8-channel-h-264-960h-security-dvr-with-hd-port-500gb-hdd.html

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

FWIW.

Louis

#6 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

Does any of this apply to your situation?

http://kb.zmodo.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=9&id=72&artlang=en

Do you have the actual model number?

Does the machine not have an option to back up the hard drive as shown in a different model here?

http://eu.cctvfocal.com/cctv-dvr/8-channel-h-264-960h-security-dvr-with-hd-port-500gb-hdd.html

I tried backing up through the dvr itself, but it shuts off before it is complete. I will get a new dvr at some point but I wanted to be able to backup some videos on my laptop. I have a WD10PURX drive.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

http://www.funlux.com/

"Free Lifetime Tech Support on All Products"

http://www.funlux.com/contact-us/
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged with existing topic - Hamluis.

Hello all,

I have a HDD from a surveillance DVR system. I believe the HDD is malfunctioning because I cannot replay any videos on my dvr.

I bought a HDD docking system and connected the HDD to my laptop. I had to manually assign a letter to the HDD in order to see it in the 'My Computer." I then could not open the drive and recieved a "drive must be formatted" message. I did not format.

Instead I installed "easeus recovery software" and proceeded to scan the drive. After scanning I saw all of my files with correct file size (ex. 30 MB). However, once I clicked recover - the files now show as 0 bytes. Thus I can not play any "recovered" files. They are shockwave format files.

Does anyone know how I can view those 0 byte files, or other software/method that would be better?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

You can't view a zero byte file. When the drive is connected to the computer via the docking station open Disk Management. Is the drive listed as RAW?

What is the model of the DVR? 

#10 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

You can't view a zero byte file. When the drive is connected to the computer via the docking station open Disk Management. Is the drive listed as RAW?

What is the model of the DVR? 

When conected the drive is indeed listed as RAW. Below it is listed as HEALTHY(PRIMARY PARTITION)

The dvr is FUNLUX, but the HDD is WD brand.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Download Testdisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version even if you have 64bit Windows. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. 

Follow the step by step guide and do a Quick Search. Highlight any partition it finds and press the "P" key. Do you see your files? 

Do not write anything. Just post back if you see your files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 January 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#12 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Download Testdisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version even if you have 64bit Windows. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. 

Follow the step by step guide and do a Quick Search. Highlight any partition it finds and press the "P" key. Do you see your files? 

Do not write anything. Just post back if you see your files.

QUICKSEARCH_zps2tf9st2g.png

That is what popped up when I did a quick search. They are supposed to be video files. Shockwave flash type I believe.

#13 batman2015

batman2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

Which partition type am I supposed to click before quick search? I clicked none since that was suggested in the hint.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Your pictures, if available will be in one of the directories with a d prefix. You can determine this by highlighting one of the directories and pressing enter. If the directory you chose is wrong then you can backtrack with the left and right arrow keys. I don't know if it will be in record or pics. It could be some other directory.

Once you find the correct directory with your files then you can back out once and highlight that directory. Press the ":" key to select it. Then press the upper case "C" key to copy. The default location for copy will be the folder you extracted Testdisk to. If the data in the directory of videos is larger than the free space of your internal drive you can enter the directory and select single videos and then press "C" to copy.

Testdisk is usually good and determining what partition type to select. If you can see those directories then that was the correct selection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users