Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1747 overheats and turns off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pajaropr

pajaropr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

Good afternoon 

Since my newest computer is in the shop, I have to use my old Dell which for the past two years when it overheats it turns off.  What could be the cause.  Attached is a snapshot from Speccy.  When temperature starts rising it is sluggish until it turns off.  The vent is flowing good but very hot air.  

Thank you. 

Lurdez

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Your CPU is running at 94°C which is way too hot; you are experiencing auto-shutdowns to prevent damage to the CPU. I assume your Dell is a desktop, not a laptop. You must clean the interior, most likely the CPU heatsink and fan are clogged with dust.

Power down. Remove the side cover and take the unit out on the back porch. Use a small vacuum cleaner with the airflow reversed (aka: blow out, not intake) and a crevice tool to blow out the dust from inside the case. Do not touch the tool to any parts. There will be a large dust cloud, so do not do this in the house. Make sure you clean the CPU heatsink and fan and the case fan(s).

When you finish, take the computer back into the house, power up and make sure all the fans are working. If any have stopped they must be replaced.

After this, if you still are having overheating problems, remove the side cover and run the computer that way. See if your overheating problems stop. If you still have problems, the thermal grease on the CPU must be replaced.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Appears to be notebook...CPU is "mobile" type.

Your "old Dell" is probably a laptop in need of dust/dirt removal.  How To Clean Dust.

Louis

#4 pajaropr

pajaropr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Thank you for your responses, it is a laptop, and I wont even dare to open it to clean inside. Will try the video on how to clean it.  I have tried the canned air method but has done nothing. 

Again thank you. 

Lurdez

#5 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Time to cowboy up and open that bad boy and get directly to the cpu fan to clean it out.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Agreed, the temps your reading are way out of bounds.

#7 pajaropr

pajaropr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

Thank you, I was afraid that is what I need to do ,  finding an authorized dealer, it is a good laptop, don't want to get rid of it.  

Again Thank you.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

Befor you do that check with other apps to make shoure the temp is relly that high, sometimes one app gets it wrong and you might be able to see your idle temps in the bios.

Try with this and see if you get the same heat numbers.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by shadow_647, 09 January 2017 - 06:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users