Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp too old for win10?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dittybop

dittybop

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I obtained a HP Pavilion 533w with a BIOS date of 1985-2002. It has 2GB ram, a combi rw16x10/dvd, with no drivers.  I performed a system recovery with no drivers being added, so a win.iso is useless.  Plop doesn't work, even when I disable or uninstall the USB 2.0 drivers at shutdown.  I attempted to update the BIOS, but that was so confusing to me. I didn't receive any disks with the computer. Any suggestions?                   Thank You,    dittybop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Linux.

fatDog64

Very Versatile

Very Quick.

Free

Edit to Add :....if by chance you do choose to try the win 10 path,, be very sure to check this PC's compatibility. Otherwise you could find yourself seriously out of pocket. Win 10 is no longer free.

Edited by Condobloke, 08 January 2017 - 03:59 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi:

In addition to the excellent advice already offered...

...Hardware and drivers aside, you'll also need a valid Win10 license (there was no Free Upgrade path from WinXP to 10 and the one for 7/8/8.1 has -- for all intents and purposes -- ended).

I would figure the cost for that Win10 license into whatever upgrade plan you devise.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

MM

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

I am not sure where you got 2GB of RAM. According the specs of the computer 1GB is the maximum amount of memory that can be installed. The CPU is 2GHz.

I would not attempt to install Windows 10 on this computer.

http://old-computer-systems.blogspot.com/2014/01/hewlett-packard-pavilion-533w-specs.html

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-533w-celeron-2-ghz-256-mb-60-gb/specs/

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Agreed go with Linux or stay with winXP, i like linux mint my self ;)

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

From 2003. Mm. That Celeron is almost certainly 32-bit. Which would rule out Brian's suggestion of FatDog64.

(Sorry, Brian!)

I do agree that a 'Puppy' would be your best way to go, given the specs. A 32-bit Puppy.....

I would suggest trying Tahrpup 6.05, based on the Ubuntu long-term support release, 'Trusty Tahr' 14.04 LTS. It's one of the most stable current 6-series 'Pups' there is, and would work well with your hardware. It's supported, via the Ubuntu repositories, until at least April 2019.

Puppy loads into, and runs entirely from, RAM. Which accounts for why it's so fast.

Just a suggestion. Mind you, I think you'll be heading down the Linux path, one way or another. That hardware is definitely not going to run Win 10. Even if it could, it would be a struggle.....

Those 'NetBurst'-gen Celerons were dog slow running Windoze, of any flavour. I know. I had one..!

Mike.  :wink: 

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 January 2017 - 05:59 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

the 32 bit thingie did occur to me.....but being in a rush I made the suggestion anyway.....definitely a Linux PC this one !!

DOWNLOAD 32bit HERE <<< <<<< < < Tahrpup 6.05

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

Like everyone else said, WINDOWS VISTA may not even run "okay" on that PC, it sounds lik you have a new linux machine to play with, although i usually don't normally advocate PuppyLinux to "Inexperienced Users" (sorry i do not know your skill level)  i will this time, puppy should scream on that, most light weight linux distro's need 256-512MB of RAM, so 1GB is more than enough for linux. 

and flashing the BIOS isn't an easy task (sometimes you can Run an exe from the current install, but seeing as you have no drives then that's out of the question ) 

If you have any questions about PuppyLinux or just linux in general we are MORE than happy to help. just make a post :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Help with Linux...?

POST HERE

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

There's another Tahr-based one I would recommend, too. In fact, I'm installing it as we speak; X-Tahr 2.0 (Tahrpup with XFCE), which the OP might find easier to get on with. The file manager, Thunar, is much more like Windows.....

If the OP is interested, it's available from >>>> HERE <<<<.

(Although, I rather think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. We haven't heard back from the OP yet...)

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users